P-0441

I pulled this code on my '04 Dakota, 4.7L Quad Cab. I think when I gassed her up I didn't properly close the cap. The light is on in my display. If I disconnect the battery for a while, the light will turn off, and I can re-check the code, correct? If no code, than I should be good to go, right? Or does the computer store the code and I will still get it? Just want to be sure it will clear if in fact it was my own carelessness and e problem doesn't exist, and not flag me to replace a part I don't need too.

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

If the problem was caused by the gas cap being loose, the computer will detect the correction and turn the light off by itself in a short period of time and you need to do nothing for that to happen. You can disconnect the battery to clear the codes if you wish but that also makes the computer forget everything else that it learned and it has to start all over again. The light may not come back on right away but if the problem is more than just a loose cap, it will light the MIL again. If you have to take it for emissions inspection any time soon, doing that will cause you to fail as there are some long term tests that need to be completed and passed by the computer that will be reset and restarted by disconnecting the battery or even just clearing codes.

Reply to
TBone

Thank You Now, since it hasn't cleared from my dash (without unplugging), I reckon it's broke. Is this a dealer problem or can a simple guy like me fix it?

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

That does depend on the state and the methods they use... Here in NH you can clear the codes and immediately run the emissions and pass it. Other states the various monitors must be run to completion (usually a complete drive cycle) to pass--it varies.

Best bet, if you have to do emissions, is to clear the codes about a week before. If they come back quickly, there's a problem you probably will have to address. If not, you are just plain lucky!

Reply to
PeterD

LOL, then you are really not passing anything, are you? What exactly is the point of bothering to hook up then? It sounds to me like they simply haven't worked out all of the bugs in their system but they soon will, especially if Federal highway funds depend on it.

Reply to
TBone

Well, you do have to define passing, right? Personally I do not think state inspections (safety or emissions) are reasonable and think they should be discontinued. They are used primarily to allow people who can least afford it, to be screwed by unethical shops.

More than a few states realized that safety inspections don't improve traffic statistics (they don't!) and have realized that they are simply implementing a system that does't work and won't work.

Emissions testing is also less useful. A properly maintained vehicle is great, but to put the screws to a single mother who has trouble feeding her children, is a bit over the top.

I realize that some don't agree with me, so be it.

As far as the federal government forcing states to implement these schemes that is also outragous. Totally unjustified, the citizens of the states who don't cow to the feds pay the same taxes as other states. It is just that they are a bit more free minded.

Sorry, got on a rant there!

Reply to
PeterD