P0404 Code

I have a 2004 1500 Quad Cab SLT with the 5.7L engine. There is about 58000 miles on the truck. A couple of weeks ago the check engine light came on
but went out a couple of days later before I had a chance to check into it. I doubt it was the gas cap issue because I hadn't gassed up in a couple of days and didn't touch the gas cap before the light went out.
Today it came on again. As much as I have tried to use the key sequence to get the codes, I just cant get it to work. Tonight I went out and bought a code reader. It came back with a P0404 which I found means "P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance".
Any hints at what I should be looking at would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

There's a problem with your EGR valve. You have the 7/70 powertrain warranty, right? Let the dealer fix it.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Powertrain covers the EGR valve?

Assumption on my part... even if not, it should be covered under the emissions warranty (maybe?)
In article

Too many miles for the EGR to be covered under emissions warranty.

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that the emission warranty went to 80K or more.
says...

Maybe in Kalifornia but the EGR isn't reguarded as a Major Component...
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt """""""""""""""""""""""""""" What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?
There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995 and newer vehicles:
* Catalytic converters.
* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).
* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD). """"""""""""""""""""""""""""

Only on "major" components. (re: heatwave's post) Minor stuff like EGRs, O2 sensors, MAP sensors are 2/24,000 which may be extended by the manufacturer if they offer a 3/36,000 (or higher) bumper to bumper warranty.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:44:36 -0400, "Michael Bromley"

Basically it suggests a improperly operating EGR valve. At highways cruising speed and at light throttle the ECM will do a test loop on EGR to see if it is working. It looks for a minute change in engine RPM nad manifold pressure when valvle operate and if does not see what it thinks it should, it will error code for it. Verify valve operation. You might pull it and make sure it is not stuck or plugged up. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Thanks, guys. I'll have to find some time to take it to the dealer. So far it's still running great so me being me I'll probably end up procrastinating. With winter coming, hopefully not too long.