Performance Questions

I have been considering two modifications to my 2003 Dodge R3500 Diesel. It is a 5-speed. I already have an Edge EZ power chip in the truck. What I am considering is installing one of those cold air intake systems. I think it costs around $300 for the system.

The second thing I am considering is changing out the muffler to a full flow-through (no baffles). The muffler costs around $80.

Does anyone have any experience with either the cold air intake or the full flow muffler? Any positives? Any negatives.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

In general, you'll notice slightly lower EGT's, and a little faster spool-up of the turbo - both good things.

I would recommend you look at the Scotty Ram Air 3 intake. I used to run this on my truck (had to get rid of it when I went to different turbos, unfortunately - I really liked that intake). It's available from Diesel Power Products,

The two-stage foam filter that the Scotty uses offers better filtration than the cotton-gauze type filters of most other intakes.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I've been looking at the Fram Boost, what do you know of this.

MoParMaN

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the site.

Reply to
Bob

I would run from anything that said 'Fram' on it... the Scotty system is developed by a guy that actually uses (some would say abuses :) his truck, and it's ONLY designed for the Ram - not some generic filter that can be sold to any truck owner with a change in piping. It produces the coolest air to the turbo, because it's completely sealed off from the engine compartment. It takes air from the stock location (inner fender panel), as well as a ram air through the front grill. It's plastic housing is a better insulator from engine heat than a metal heat shield.

As I said, I used to run one of these, and my oil analysis results confirmed that the filter was doing it's job (not to mention the spotless intake tube).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I was looking at the Scotty III. I did not do a thorough read through, but is the Scotty III all that is needed or do I have to purchase extra parts, such as the hoses that are shown? Purchasing the Scotty III comes complete for setup?

Reply to
Bob

Now for the big question: Do you think it's worth buy as far as it's cost verses, the normal cost of air flow management? (Dodge Air Filter for those slow ones)

Reply to
MoParMaN

Actually, I do. The stock air box SUCKS as far as filtration goes. It gets hot, it warps, and the stock filter winds up not sealing around the rim, letting dirt and crud in.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

The Scotty 3 is all you need - it's a direct replacement for the stock airbox. That other hose they show is nice, as it eliminates the baffled stock intake hose (which is designed for noise suppression, not necessarily optimum airflow), but it's certainly not required.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence