Physics in mechanics

Or, what I learned at the shop today.

Took the truck in to get the AC recharged. It didn't take them long. I came back, fired up the truck turned on the AC, and thought I heard a horrible noise. Turned off the radio, and there it was, for a few seconds, a horrific grinding noise.

Turned the truck off, went back in. They told me "10 minutes" and took the truck back into the shop.

1/2 hour later, I asked, did they find anything? Yup, they'd overgassed the AC and were redoing it now. Overgassed?

Apparently, they'd recharged the AC to the recommended amount, in the morning when it was cooler. They parked the truck in the sun, it was around 95f when I picked it up. Gas expands... and suddenly the AC is overgassed. Sigh. Does this explanation make sense? I understand the physics of gasses expanding, but wouldn't the folks that write the manuals know that, and take that into account when stating volumes or whatnot?

It works now though. Blessed, blessed AC :) Having nearly no AC when the temps are in the 90s is no fun at all...

On a completely different subject...

Interestingly enough, the young man who provided the taxi service to and from the dealer is quite into Dodge trucks, and wants to import a Ram - apparently some Australian states now allow lefthand-drive vehicles (previously, they were only allowed under SOFA). So it's instantly become more affordable - previously they'd not only pay to import the truck, but pay quite a bit more to have it converted to righthand-drive.

I still firmly believe that Dodge should sell the Dakota and Ram here in Australia. From the attention and covetous looks and comments the Dak gets from Aussies here, I think they'd sell quiet well.

Faugh, my truck gets more attention from Aussie males than I do :) (of course, Hubby would have it no other way )

jmc

Reply to
jmc

One the the charging stations in my shop is notorious for overhcharging. Program in the charge amount and it may overcharge by a pound or so. Ya really have to keep an eye on the pressures and if they don't look right you have to start over.

Maybe if you baked cookies a little more often....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Look wide ride, just stick to your WC sliders. A cookie , actually I hear they are gourmet cookies, are wasted on ya.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I was in Ohio a couple years ago and passed by a WC and stopped by since everyone raved about them. Bought a bag of sliders. Those things are the most disgusting things I've had in a long time. Tasted like a mixture of dog food and spam. Geez, I was in full remission from the memories of that horrible day and now ya just had to bring up WC again!!

Reply to
miles

Miles, you jes ain't a gourmet! Like all the finer things in life, they are an acquired taste.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Ahhh Miles, care to explain how you know what dog food tastes like.

Reply to
Roy

I guess some of us have different ideas as to what the "finer things in life" are. I'll give ya the toosh warmers, but the slider's, no damn way.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Sounds like it was "slugging," trying to pump liquid. Not a good thing. The noise is the belt slipping.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

LOL, I was gonna ask him that one myself :-)

Reply to
TBone

Note that he hasn't answered yet. Maybe he has a taste for that "gourmet dog food".

Hell we have a guy that eats carrots and sliders, actually he will eat anything else he can get his pudgy hands on. Now we have a 'conasewer" of finer dog food.; What next??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I hear that okra is also an acquired taste.. lots of things I'd rather not acquire a taste for..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I heard that their fried onion rings made #1 on the "foods that are most likely to kill you" list this year.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Suddenly, without warning, Big Al exclaimed (12/20/2007 12:24 AM):

Could be. All I knew at the time was that the sound was Not Good. I

*don't* like hearing Bad Noises coming from my truck that weren't there when I dropped it off.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Hey Jodi, Did ya notice that one little cookie comment got the hounds talking about gourmet dining and nothing about your a/c??? Don't ya just love this ng....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Hey Rabbit!! check the Outdoor Channel at 8pm tonight. They are supposed to have the Knob Hill Mahine Gun Shoot on.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (12/20/2007 8:23 AM):

You're mentioning that like it's something new :) Do ANY threads over about 6 posts actually stay on-topic around here?

Don't mind terribly, keeps the place interesting. How boring would it be if all we talked about was Dodge trucks ?

Oh, btw, I made cookies the other day, and though they didn't win the dessert contest (they did last year), they were still all gone before I could retrieve the container. Hubby was disappointed.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

So are we...

:^(

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

And you didn't bring enough here for the whole class? Go stand in a corner!