Ping <<<Mike and Denny>>>

Have either of you folks come across anything from the folks at SRT or STAR that addresses a fix for the antifreeze problem in the 6.1 engines? A guy named Bryan Moores, a "tech advisor" say's that the temp fix is a flush and refill with a additive. Have you a copy of that notice or advisory? Does it exist? The question that begs to be asked it what is the long term effect of this putty like stuff becomeing trapped in the cooling system? Plugged heater core or radiator, premature water pump failure result5ing in serious damage to a expensive engine. This problem seems to be isolated to the 6.1 used in the SRT's only.

Any light you or info you can provide is appreciated.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

What is happening with the 6.1 is the antifreeze is breaking down. At first it is a smell like ammonia, then come these little white flakes that after a period of time they turn into a white putty like paste. I'm at the ammonia stage with the Charger. The folks at SRT are aware of the problem and have stated a flush and fill with fresh anti freeze with a additive is the temp fix. They are going with the extreme temps these engines run at as a cause of the breakdown. Also they have mentioned a bad batch of anti freeze. But that doesn't seem to be a actual cause as the build dates range from 11/05 to current. A guy at the Charger forum put a coolant filter in and ran it for a few days then cut it open. It was a mess. If you like I could send you a pic of it. This fellow Bryan Moores is supposed to be somebody pretty well up the ladder, I believe he is with SRT but I could be wrong.

You won't find a TSB as the permanent fix hasn't been finalized. But there is supposed to be a memo out on it.

How was Dega?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Hmmmm... I haven't seen a prob yet and we have a good many SRT's on the street. I'll check with our zone tech advisor on Wednesday and get back to you.

Talladega was great! A long drive, but it was worth it. I would have liked to see the Cup race end in a checker but it weren't to be.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Anything you can find I'd appreciate hearing about.

That happens. Be thankful you didn't go to Richmond for tonights race

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Looks like ole Mike has the bases covered. I guess I'm just a day late and a dollar short... :(

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Nah, you aren't. Check your email. I sent ya a pic of a cut away coolant filter. That was only used for a day and was pretty much used up. A few have pulled heads and found it to be like drywall mud in some of the passages. One cars radiator was 45% plugged with it.

As much as I really like this car, if i DC fails to get thing's straightend out it is going before the intial warranty is up. Actually DC should extend the warranty on the 6.1 engines to anything coolant related, engine and transmission anyway. It isn't like there are a whole lot of them out there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Sooo.... what else is new?

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Did the pic make it??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yep. I checked my email before the group. That is one gooey looking filter..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

That was harsh.. I'm hurt.... I hope your seat heaters won't shut off for the summer... Take that!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Wow!! That's hitting him right where he lives.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Are you sure he doesn't run them year round anyways?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Mike,

Any luck with the zone tech advisor??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

He's too busy playing w/his seats Roy.

Reply to
azwiley1

I have them too. Don't know why I'll need them here. But up north, with my skinny ass, they are nice to have. also I'm not going to bust his chops, not while I'm looking for a favor anyway.

Reply to
Roy

Not yet. I'm going to the training center of Wednesday for a zone advisory meeting so I will see him there.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your efforts. This Bryan Moores from DC keeps on turning up with some info.

Roy

Reply to
Roy