<<<Ping Miles>>>

IIrc you have a factory nav system. Here's the story. I can't get the damn thing to take me around NYC and over the Tappen Zee Bridge and south on the Garden State Parkway back to I-95 at the Jersey turnpike. I can enter a city on the GS and that's fine Then if I put in FL it takes a left and put's me back on I-95 way north of where I want to be on roads I don't want to be on.. Any thoughts?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I hear Rand McNally makes these things called maps. They come in spiral bound books that are easy to use.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Ah, my pudgy friend, you are on a friggin' roll aren't ya.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I assume its accepting your destination entry fine but the route it uses to get there is bad?

I have the Chrysler REC Nav. system and am using the AE revision of the DVD software. You might try changing the routing setting. There are selections to favor highways, quickest route, shortest route etc. Each will give a different route.

What revision is your DVD? With the AE revision I was able to apply a patch from carhack.org to disable the in-motion lockouts so a passenger can fully use the GPS while I'm driving. I also noticed the AE has several new features as well as improved maps.

Reply to
miles

Yup, damn thing wants to take me over the George Washington Bridge. The Garmin at first was the same but you could toss in other cities on the route you want and sort of cheat it. The DC one won't let you. I could always keep on entering final destinations but thought there might be a way around it.

Tried that.

Not sure, it's a 06, I'll look in the morning.

Reply to
Roy

I'll have to go look but I thought there is a way to add stops and/or tell it to avoid certain roads.

Reply to
miles

Truely, digital vs. analog...

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Just checked on mine and there is a way to tell it to avoid a road. You can also create an itinerary that involves a sequence of routes/stops allowing you to break it down into smaller segments to route it how you want. I haven't tried that feature yet though.

Reply to
miles

That's it! Encourage him. Geeeeeezzzzzz.....

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I tried that and you have to give like the name of a building or some such. I'm going to mess with it more later today. Thanks for your input.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

On mine there is a selection that lists all the roads on the route with an option to select each one to avoid. This causes it to reroute another way. This should work for you.

Reply to
miles

That option is not on mine.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Hmm, I thought the avoid road option was on my older AD revision as well. The revision letters are shown on the top of the DVD.

Reply to
miles

Real men don't need no stinken maps or Nav systems. If a bird with a pea sized brain can do then everybody here (with the exception of maybe Budd) should be able to do it.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

The only numbers on mine are 05064(in small font) in larger font 033AD on the disc. It also says 2004-2005 Alpine Electronics on the edge. Hmmm it also has a 8oo number to call. Think I will.

Reply to
Roy

Looks like it6 will be Monday, they are closed

Reply to
Roy

No shit! But if the toy is available I want it to work. Now go pick a winner for tonights race.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

After you enter a destination and it computes a route go to the main menu and select Route Options. It should have a selection for Avoid Roads/View Turn List. This only comes up if a destination is already entered. It could be new on the AE revision but I didn't think so.

Reply to
miles

I'll give it a shot. It will have to be in the AM though, wife is out with the car.

Reply to
Roy

I finally got fed up messing with this and called Alpine. The tech guy say's, nope, it does what it does. Not like a garmin. Have to continually reprogram it. Oh well, better than nothing.

Reply to
Roy