Pirelli vs Michelin

The selection of load range E tires is very limited in my size. Since I pull an 8000lb trailer, E tires are my only choice.

I currently have (OE) BFG Rugged Trail tires, which I find to be too noisey. I never go off road. I rarely see snow here in the southwest, so a tame M&S rated tire is fine.

My only two other choices are Pirelli and Michelin. Why is there such a huge differenc in price between those two?

John

Reply to
John

Get what you pay for?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

What size tire is it and what type of truck do you have?

Gary B.

Reply to
Gary B

I live in Minnesota and run highway tread...they work fine year round. If you want quiet tires, forget M&S.

Reply to
Lance LaFrinier

The Michelin LTX M/S is rather quiet. The more aggressive A/T is a bit noisy but not bad.

Reply to
miles
265/70SR17 on a 2003 2500 QC 4x4.
Reply to
John

Hey Laszlo, I haven't seen you since I used to frequent the jetski newsgroup. Last I remember you were having some issues with SBT's lawyers I think. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. I hope all is well with you.

John

Reply to
John

You got it right...they ended up posting a retraction and apology on the newsgroup. That particular newsgroup is a thing of the past now and not many people visit anymore. Doing well here, about to build my own (new) shop...tired of paying for other peoples buildings for them. You still riding?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

We just moved to Arizona. We brought the 2 XPL's and left the WR3 and WB in Mom's backyard. We convinced the mover to squeeze the double trailer into the moving truck. We've been riding the Harley more than the skis.

I spoke to Bill a few weeks ago. It was the first time in over a year. I drove past Glendora in July and didn't think of stopping in to see him.

With the price of premium gas, I finally took the Miller head off of my XPL and went back to OEM. In NY, the injection solenoid on the Coffman pipe clogged again, so my exhaust system's plastic and rubber parts melted and it sunk again. I gave it a WD40 and silicone enema. So I sold the pipe, prop, and the MT system and went back to OEM stuff. It's up to 600 hours and still running strong.

I agree about the newsgroup. I was surprised to see that not much gets posted. It seems George is still in the thick of controversy. I asked a question there about the SeaDoo 3D, and there were only two responses. It's so dead there, you might even see Harry, Bill, and George agreeing on something.

I was shocked back then that SBT was arguing with you, especially since you had pictures. Luckily, all my engines are original, so I haven't needed a rebuilder. I'm glad to hear you and shop are doing well. Good luck with the new shop. I'm glad I ran into you again. Talk to you soon!

John

Reply to
John

Good deal...I "Doo" like the way those XPL handle better than any other model they offer. Double trailer in a moving truck? I'm sure they had to grease the sides first.

Gas is surely high....I run premium in my 2500 QC and it really sucks. Lots of other people are going the same route as you...or not riding as much which is sad to say. 600 hours is excellent...take care of it and don't put it up wet or you'll pay for it big time down the road.

I personally don't ride all that much anymore either. Heck, after fixing everyone else's boats, the last thing I want to do is mess with more on my days off so I, like you, would ride my bike more than the skis. Sold the bike (Thunder Mountain Custom) and in the spring will be building my own bike..frame and all. All billet. If it's a cast part, it's not going on the bike. 147 inch motor. Woohoo.

I'll add you to my address book. Next time I'm in the area if I have my bike with me, we'll go for a cruise. Planning a trip to Europe with it first though. That'll be a blast.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Oh, and although I can't say anything either way on the Pirelli tires, I can say the LTX M/S has made me a very happy camper even in the snow as I plow.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I won't give up my XPL till someone else makes a hull that out handles it. That was why I was wondering about the 3D. The hull looks like the XPL hull. Lower seat + same hull + same engine must = awesome ski. Who knows?

They had to take off the trailer's fenders and bearing buddies to get it in. The next option would have been to stand the trailer on it's side and sit the skis on the floor of the trailer.

The skis get a fogging after each use. Mine has Buckshot Magnum carbs with Prok flame arresters, so fogging is easy. My wife's still has the OEM air box on it, so that doesn't get done as well. But, she rides like a woman, so hers is a babied 600 hours.

The local HD dealership here in Arizona sells Thunder Mountain bikes. I like the fact they use OEM HD engines and trannies. Very pretty bikes. Awesome paint. They look practical and usable, unlike the overly stretched choppers that some custom shops get carried away with. 147" Makes my TC88 sound impotent. You sure you're not trying to make up for any personal size issues?

John

Reply to
John

I've heard the 3D described as: "does 3 things but none of them well."

The paint on the TMC is beyond comparison IMO. In fact, I'm going to try and get one of the shops that does their bikes to paint mine.

As for the 147 incher...with the new EPA laws, you can only build and own one emissions exempt bike your entire life. You have to wait 5 years before you can sell it and you can't own another one. So, that being said, might as do it all the way the first time. It'll be a real screamer I'm sure.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works