Please help, heat problem!

Hi guys,
I just realized on the way to work this morning that the fan in my 2002 Dakota QC only works in the highest setting. I assume this to mean
that I need to replace the fan? Is this correct? I have tried all the settings, top and bottom, botton and defogger and the fan only works in the highest setting only. If so, has anyone changed the fan? Is it difficult to get to? It is in the 20s here in Northern NJ today, and I cannot take the noise the highest fan setting makes, so I need to fix this ASAP. Are there any places online I can get a fan cheaper than at my dealer? Thanks for any and all help you guys can provide me with.
Joseph Arseneau
The resistor block that controls the fan speed has cooked itself.
"Joseph Arseneau" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nope - blower motor resistor block. Look up under the dash, and you should see it bolted/screwed to the blower motor housing. It's got a wiring harness running to it with 4 wires. Unplug the connector, unbolt/screw the pack, and replace it. Fairly simple to do...
Do I need to pull the dash board apart? or will the resister block be accessable without pulling it off? WHere can I get a replacement besdides going to the dealer? How much is an approximate cost? Thanks again
Joseph Arseneau wrote:

Expect to spend about $10.00. PM article with a good picture: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_clinic/1927487.html
--
Ken

"Look up under the dash, and you'll see it..."

The other dealer across town.

It's a $3 part, so the dealer shouldn't charge you more than $20 for it.
Suddenly, without warning, Tom Lawrence exclaimed (26-Jan-06 3:02 PM):

FYI, this is a common problem; my truck (2001 Dakota) been through two so far. Third one, if/when it goes, I'll replace myself. FYI, it's such a simple job that the Chrysler dealer here in the UK hasn't charged me for installation of either of them! Takes 'em 5 or 10 minutes.
jmc
You might also look into replacing the blower as well. It is drawing too much current.
"jmc" < snipped-for-privacy@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, TBone exclaimed (29-Jan-06 5:24 PM):

Yea, I know. I've actually mentioned that in posts to other folks, just didn't this time. If it blows again, I'll try to do just that, if I can get the part(s).
jmc