Plow lights

I'm wiring a new set of plow lights on my truck. The original lights had a set of plug that spliced into the back of the headlights and had an automatic switch that swapped the lights. The new lights are going to have
a manual switch on the dash. The directions for the kit want me to cut the high and low beam wires out by the headlight and run them back to the switch. Is there any reason I can't find these wires where they come out of the steering column dimmer switch?

For plow lights why not run a separate properly fused line to a aux switch? Easier and quicker imo.
Doubtful you'd be using high beams in the snow due to the reflection and subsequent lose of visibility
jeff miller wrote:

What year truck? Most of the newer ones use a relay and ground switching for the lights. Connecting at the column would not provide power to the lights. What I would probably do is wire in a pair of relays for the lights. One high beam, one low. Wire them so that when the normally closed contacts keep the same circuit as the current lights. Make SURE the moving contact is on the feed side NOT on the light side.
Then wire a switch on the dash that would turn the relays on/off.
Wire the normally open side to the plow lights.
Now when you leave the switch OFF the factory lights will operate normally. With the switch ON the power will switch to the plow lights and you will have high/low on the factory dimmer.
--
Steve W.

Maybe if you told us what truck you have...

Possibly, depends on what truck you have... There are differences!
Some, the later models which used the BCM to control lights you need adapters. That is what I use on my 2004 2500...

I have a 2000 ram 2500

I'd suggest the modules that are designed for that system, you need one for each side.

The directions for the kit �want me to cut the

Jeff
Amother has suggested that you wire in a separate switch to relays up front. I second this. Also stay away from the dash or inside wiring. It will be too much work this way. And you will be altering only the headlight wiring areas. Much simpler. There are plenty of 12v relays online for sale at reasonable prices.
Bob AZ
jeff miller wrote:

will help you with all kinds of electrical and mechanical pertaining to plow setups.
good luck
jeff miller wrote:

will help you with all kinds of electrical and mechanical pertaining to plow setups. http://www.plowsite.com /
good luck