Poor Mileage

Page 2 of 2
SnoMan wrote:

Good grief! Will you guys cut it out! You don't like each other, we get that. Every single thread quickly turns in to childish name calling. Enough is enough. Don't make me stop this truck! I'm going to have to seprate you guys if you can't behave.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

boBit is true, many don't like him, but you have to understand, it is not (only) about the dis-like for him that this continues to happen. Most do it becuase of the constant out date (circa 1970's) incorrect, unlogical and in a lot of case flat out dangerous information that he posts. But please stop the truck and kick at least one of them out!
SnoMan wrote:

BULL! The 5.7L Hemi gets better mpg than the weaker 5.9L it replaced along with considerably more power. I've owned both.
miles wrote:

Bah, Dodge needs 'waste' at least 100 HP in the automatic transmission to ensure proper regular boil-overs and failures. At least thats what my new-hemi owning friend used as an excuse when he couldn't run away from my lowly 318.
It sure ain't no 426.
Howard, Your truck should be getting between 15 and 17.5 MPG depending on your driving habits. What was your mileage before the mods? That would be a good indicator. Secondly, the K & N will flow more air initially, but the filtration ability is no way as good as the OEM arrangement. Furthermore, over time, as dirt is gathered, the K & N will flow LESS air than a partially clogged factory filter. It would be wise to hook up a manometer between the air filter and throttle body and watch for vacuum during use, then you will know for sure. Additionally, if the exhaust has much less backpressure much of the ingested fuel could be exiting the engine because of reflected vacuum. This you would see as unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. Using a 4 gas analyser will show that as well. Steve

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:45:47 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"

Maybe in your dreams or a 2wd one in a lighter truck with stock tires. I am not knocking Dodge but if you want a chance at a gas 4x4 with decent MPG for its size you have to get a Ford or GM because they unlike dodge do disconnect the front axle and differentail in 2wd. over 35 years ago when I first start buying 4x4 for myself they had lockout hubs and you could tell when hubs were left engaged and see it in MPG too. Yes so wise arse will say it was a 40 year old truck but that does not matter because new truck drags axle same way since there is no disconnect. Given todays energy concerns is is a bit of a farce that not a single Dodge 4x4 made has a axle disconnect all to save them, (not you) a little money building them. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I rarely say this, but you are incorrect, The 1500 Dodge Ram does disconnect the wheels at the front Diff., as well as the TC. It does so with engine vacuum in 2 WD. Please, for the sake of the other readers, get your facts correct before you reply. On my '96 5.9 (Gas) 5speed I regularly saw 17.5 MPG by keeping speeds below 50 MPH Steve

In all fairness and I really hate to say the snowidiot is correct (shut up Roy) (BG) but he's right about the new trucks not having a disconnect. I'm thinking it may have been around 02-03 when Dodge did away with it. But I don't think it drops the milage as much as he lets on it does. Turning a differential over with no load against it doesn't take very much effort.
Denny

I think the 1500 lost the disconnect when they went to the IFS front end, I believe. That would have been 2002 I think?