Poor old Duramax!

Check out the Duramax video! Can't keep up with an old Dodge / Cummins
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm
Pretty sad.

That my friend is why i bought a Cummins!!!!!!
--
----------------------------
-Chris

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm

Pehaps, but it was probably loaded that way to put the weight on the trailer wheels.

He made a claim that he was totaling nearly 23k in weight. Is that correct? My Dodge vehicle manual shows about 20k max.

I think so. He said during the video he was 300 lbs. under max weight rating? I think Ford is claiming close to or over 25,000 with their "tow boss" package? My '96 3500 club cab automatic 4x4 3.54 gears was max trailer rated at 9,700 lbs. My '01 3500 quad cab six speed 4x4 4.10 gears is rated at 14,300.
The first time I watched it I missed the part about 300 lbs under the GCWR (I was getting bored with the idiot). Maybe it just demonstrates that if one tows near the maximum capicity of one's truck one shouldn't keep the accelerator floored - especially going up hill. I too liked that the AC stopped working (is 91 degrees hot?) and there was an audible warning about the coolant temperature.
I searched for Keystone Cougar 5th wheel campers and found that they can go from 5740-8500 lbs dry weight up to 12,300 lbs fully loaded. If my memory serves, that jeep weighs about 3500 lbs. Therefore, the Dodge was towing between 9200 and 15,800 lbs. Pretty impressive if the hills were as steep as the guy suggests.

I just looked on the Ford site. It is listing 26,000 with an outrageous 4.30 rear axle ratio, but the trailer max weights are still nearly the same as my 2000 Dodge. Except Dodge then listed trailer at 16k not 15k as Ford. So it seems their marketing is not all that truthful. They call it "Tow Boss," but tow capacities are the same even without that package only the GCVW is greater.

I take that back..I was not looking at Fifth Wheel.
It jumps to19,200 whith a 350 with the Tow Boss with Fifth Wheel..I was looking at conventional towing.

If you know what the 1920's vehicles looked like, they're a bit similar in profile to the U-Haul box truck he was pulling. Studies showed they were MORE aerodynamic in reverse! Seems counter intuitive? Anyway, that led to the Chryler AirFlow and Desoto AirStream. Two awful looking cars with good aerodynamics and awful sales.
We think alike. If I caught him driving my truck that way he'd be seriously injured. I've pushed my equipment pretty doggone hard but that 240 ~ 260 degree stuff was just abuse. It's not illegal to slow down and downshift to cool it off. You don't HAVE to run with the big dogs all day. I was impressed with the computer management system protecting the truck from stupidity. Cutting the A/C off on him was pretty amusing.
I've also had thoughts about a Duramax. 360 hp and 650 ft/lbs is pretty darn sweet with a six speed Alison. I went looking around a little, as near as I could determine, running hot is common, overheating much less common. But let's put this in perspective. Medium duty trucks are pretty well limited to 300 hp unless it's to be an RV hauler or fire truck, then it's 350 hp. The 300 hp medium duty trucks come with 860 to 1000 sq. inch radiators. How do you get that capacity in a pick up? And the weight ratings (tow) are into the medium duty categories as well. I smell marketing hype.
I wonder how well the new Ford 6.4 is going to do? I hear there's stacks and stacks of turbos at the Ford dealers due to the vanes seizing up. I heard NO idling and don't let it sit for 2 weeks or more? That's all I've heard and only from one source.

BigIronRam wrote:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm
It was interesting to note (as his D-max fell behind and ran hotter) the driver's declining opinion of the D-max... and his increasing regard for the CTD! D'ya think (whether or not he gets any settlement out of his suit), he'll dump the D-max and buy a CTD? Bryan ;-)

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm
I don't think he's going to get a thing except experience.
BigIronRam wrote:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm
I like my "old 24 valve Dodge". I just sent this to a friend that tows a camper and horses with a D-max. I wonder what she'll have to say about it.
--
Ken

You sent that to a D-max owner?! Cool, send her this one too!
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/dodge+2500/0/3c5e0a72-7e12-4322-b38b-57d0f20f787b.htm

Same tug, different video can be found here: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,50912.0.html It's a Chevy forum. It's kind of funny how those guys thought the Chevy won. Until JimDDD sets them straight. Reputable source? I think so.
--
Ken

A real reputable source, thanks for the link.
Roy

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/money+maker/0/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-98af013f4333.htm
Thanks again to TDR posters I have a little more information, check it out:
http://www.coolmyduramax.com/forums/showthread.php?tP2