popping noise

Hello all, 1998 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9ltr. When approaching a stop, I get a metal "popping noise" when allmost at the point of being stopped, it also does it when the brakes get
released, kinda like something is in a bind? It does not pull when braking at all. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Thank for letting me post. snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net.
Front wheel bearings or front "U" joints. Deal with this right away. Disassemble front wheel assemblies and you will easily find the fault. This is NOT a back yard job. Be prepared to buy at least a day's labor at a dealer. Steve

Sure it is... just depends on the size of your yard :)
All kidding aside, there's no reason why your average weekend mechanic couldn't tackle this job. No special tools required (might need to go buy a big socket for the hub nut, that's about all), and the procedure's been detailed here several times in the past.
To the OP: if it's something you're interested in handling yourself, let us know, and we'll guide you through it.
Well, I took the truck to the mechanic yesterday,at the Dodge dealer, they heard the noise,had the truck going forwards and backwards,and put it on the lift, and went through the entire drivetrain, and brakes,and they >couldnt< find out what is causing the noise! The noise doesnt appear when first driving, only after its been drove for a short time,then it appears and gets louder at times,and at tmes, kinda feel it in the steering wheel. I mean if its a u-joint wouldnt it, make a racket all the time ? Same thing with a wheel bearing? Any ideas? Thank you for letting me post. snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
Possibly either, or both, of these items:
http://www.borgeson.com/TRUCKS/DODGE.html for your steering shaft. http://www.dtprofab.com/DT_DODGE%201.htm for your tracbar.
Laszlo Almasi