Power? POWER? What about milleage?

Page 3 of 3

Buy the Titan at your own peril... stay with the Dodge.
Mike

Well thanks for the reply's all, sorry I didn't put the details of the truck but here they are, 1999 3/4 4x4 w tow/plow pakage, quad cab, V10. 37000mi I use it primarliy for towing my TT. Dodge replaced the engine at 17000 mi [at Dodge's expence] Iv'e had no trouble with it other than that. I run high test when pulling, regular gas when not pulling, like the manual says. I pull OUT of overdrive, use OD when not pulling. If I exceed 60 mph the mileage drops to 6.5 - 7mpg sometimes I don't HAVE to get another truck just would like to get a little better mileage. I'll take it that there are no ""chips" for more mileage. I entertained the idea of exchange this engine for a deisel, Probably expensive but to trade in for a new truck would be $20 to $25 thousand more. Don't know if either is a good idea. MY goal is to get better mileage if possible. Anyway this truck sits idle for weeks at a time, I was told that is not good for a deisel by an OTR driver, Don't know about that but if I wanted to use it it the winter U couldn't just run out and start it up after sitting unpluged for a couple of weeks, so I would have to leave it pluged in for weeks not being used, use #1/2 mix like they have here in the winter pay $1.00 a gal more for fuel that gets lower milage ECT. These were the things I had been talking about as problems to deal with a deisel. BUT back to the point-- form what I can gather there's no way to get pronounced better mileage than what I get now, it seems. I knew when I bought the V10 it was not a gas miser but gas was a lot cheaper then [sniff] Yes I want cheese with that wine. thank's for the replys anyway people, Tom

I'd check that pricing, I'm sure your truck is worth more than $10,000, and trading for used diesel might be an even better deal.

Its fine sitting for weeks. Driving short trips is the bad thing, since it should warm up to be properly used. Fortunately, it takes about 1/2 mile, and mine is putting out heat in the cab.

Nope. You could plug it in the hour before you wanted to use it, and be just fine. Personally, I've rarely plugged mine in, and it starts fine, even after siting a few days in cold weather.

Fuel isn't a concern like it once was. Lower mileage in the winter isn't a problem if you let it sit as much as you say, since its only a MPG or two difference.
--
Max

Tom, for the miles you put on your truck I don't know if it is worth it to trade. Save it for pulling the trailer, drive something else when not. If you averaged allot more than the 5000 miles a year that you are doing now I would be tempted to go with a diesel. I sure as hell would not go with something smaller!! As I see it your options are to stay with the truck you have or go diesel. Trading to another gas of any size seems foolish to me when the primary use is to tow a travel trailer. As for having a diesel sitting for long periods between use, our farm trucks often sat for 11 month a year between use. Did not seem to bother them! Greg
There is something severely wrong if all you're getting is 8mpg with a diesel. I get around 20 on the highway with a 2003. I get 9-10 when towing an 8000# trailer.
John

I have a 360, 5 speed, 4X4 and a CTD, 6 speed, 4X4. The Diesel gets better mileage empty or pulling, and has lots more power. In fact, the Diesel gets better mileage pulling my race car and trailer than the gas truck gets empty.
Al