Power Steering Problem

My son has a 98 Dodge Dakota, a base model. Last night the power steering failed, due to lost fluid. Today we were unable to see a leak, maybe due to
the fact that there was very little fluid left in the reservior. He had to drive about 60 miles after experiencing the loss of fluid.
Will this extended operation cause irreparable damage to the ps pump? We plan to fill it up tomorrow and find and repair the leak tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John
If this were my truck, I'd buy two or three quarts of Dexron II ATF. (which works nicely in PS pumps.) Fill the reservoir up to the top, and start the motor. Run the steering wheels left and right all the way to the stops. Fill reservoir again, this time about two inches from the top. This will fill the system with fluid.
Look for leaks along the metal lines, between the PS pump and the gear box. On my van, earlier this year I had to replace the metal lines from the PS pump to the steering gear box. It was a miserable, oily job. But it did get done, and now the fluid doesn't leak.
Probably not damaged. But, it sure is miserable trying to steer a PS system with no fluid. Please suggest that he carry a quart of Dexron II transmission fluid in the truck from now forward.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.