Power supply failures!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
man they just don't build them like they used to do they???
i mean shoot only 7 years out of this one case?? the power supply for my AMD 1100 went south, so i decided to buy a new power supply and case as the
old case was short on a few features i wanted, mainly the front USB but to my dismay when the hardware was transferred from one case to the next, i suffered a file corruption that affected APT-GET needless to say after much effort for all practical purposes the linux system was stuck as was. no new software, oh well time to reload. i almost forgot how much fun it was to reload a system because of a hardware failure. thankfully it hasn't taken much to get back to where i was. just a few bugs to iron out.
well i guess that's the end of my little rant.
--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

Need I say it? Buy a Mac ... you won't have these problems. :-)
Craig C.

Macs are now offically PCs with another OS on it.

Craig C. thought everyone should know:

MAC???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttt
I'm sticking with KDE, besides i have a new powersupply and purdy case =)
i'll give you props on unix though... :P
--
Chris

Suddenly, without warning, Chris Thompson exclaimed (7/2/2007 2:13 AM):

My case is purdy too!
http://www.jodi.ws/blog/2005/06/i-feel-like-i-have-brand-new-computer.html
jmc
jmc thought everyone should know:

much nicer than mine :P
of course i was coming from a basic cheapo case so just about anything is better than the old one =)
--
Chris

Wow..and you just installed XP for the first time???
Vista is already out after only.....6 years!

pppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttt
=)
http://www.jodi.ws/blog/2005/06/i-feel-like-i-have-brand-new-computer.html
Vista, what a load of crap that one is.

TBone wrote:

It's basically XP SP4 with some fancy do nothing graphics.
Why do we need a new OS every few years anyways? Often the main desire is for stability and compatibility. Companies still run decades old software applications under Unix on modern computers. Our Unix server has been rebooted a total of 5 times in 10 years not counting power outages. Two of those times were when the server was upgrade. I reboot any Windows PC a few times a week. I was hoping in another few years XP would become stable...but now we have a new OS and start all over again.
Suddenly, without warning, miles exclaimed (7/4/2007 1:23 PM):

Why? I stayed with Windows 2000 until just recently, that was a very stable system I only had to reboot every couple of weeks or so (not as good as *nix but still not bad).
I need to tweak this XP load a bit I think, it's still needing a reboot about once a week.
Just because there's a new OS out doesn't mean we *have* to get it.
Vista's doing a world of good for the Linux world, methinks :)
jmc
jmc wrote:

Well heck, I still have about 20 PC's at my company running DOS. They run single application product testing applications 24/7 and do a great job of it.
Was saying we had to upgrade to the latest OS. The point was that Unix is a decades old OS thats still under development and continually improved. The latest versions will still run decades old apps without trouble. I feel that stability and compatibility is what many people are after. 2000 and now XP's development is halted. Vista will be around only a few years and then another new OS is made. Stability and compatibility go down the drain.
miles thought everyone should know:

a stable windows......???????????? shoot i remember 3.11 being buggy too and it ran on top of DOS probably the most stable OS that Microsoft will ever put out.
--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

I still love DOS! Even in XP I open a DOS box for certain tasks. The file manager in windows sucks!! I can do many things unders DOS much faster. My company still has about 20 PC's on our production line running DOS.
miles thought everyone should know:

DOS was great, what they allow you to do under XP though is a restricted version of DOS at best. although i agree that using the gui for some things is cumbersome to say the least.
--
Chris

I don't know a whole lot about 'putors. Sooo I depend on friends and those on here that seem to have a clue about them. I haven't heard any of my friends suggest vista, nor have any here. So to me that say's a bunch.

My last computer ran XP. I would leave it on for weeks, maybe months without a reboot. It was stable as a rock. It died a horrible death a while back and was replaced with a new HP running Vista. I was not impressed at first, but after a few weeks of adjustment, (me, not the computer), it has been as good as Win XP was for me. Like others have said it is just the next version of XP. The only thing that ticked me off is it does not like to accept older hardware. If you go Vista, be prepared to replace you printer, and scanner, and what ever you have plugged in 'cuz it most likely will not run. I had a wireless mouse that Vista would recognize, and load drivers for, but it would not run. Likewise with the cheap printer I had. Strange thing was I dug in the closet and found a couple old printers. One of them I found drivers for and it and it does run fine. Strange thing is, it is about 7 years old, but the manufacturer was supporting Vista, unlike the other printer. Greg
Suddenly, without warning, GeekBoy exclaimed (7/4/2007 12:38 AM):

Won't touch Vista with a 10' pole. I *like* Win 2000 Pro. No activation, worked fine. Only upgraded as some of the software I want to update won't run on 2K anymore. Also, wasn't sure if Win2kPro would be able to fully utilize the two procs I have now...
jmc
jmc wrote:

For most users dual CPU's are useless. Along with an OS that can use both they will also only speed up applications designed to spawn processes off to the 2nd CPU. Otherwise the 2nd CPU sits and does nothing.

You may want to learn from a longer post on 2 Jul in the newsgroup Computer Tech Support entitled "Power Supply keeps blowing?". Major difference exist between supplies. Some benchmarks for identifying inferior supplies are provided.
Chris Thompson wrote:

Some thing will need to be flashed for the system to work properly again.
--
"Really! You really don't know shit than do you cock breath? News
flash cock breath, when you recover from a HDD crash or failure and