Practical way to weigh a trailer

Page 2 of 3
Ignoramus18738 wrote:

Others have suggested using bathroom scales. However, weighing wheel weight directly with a bathroom scale may be problematic, depending on the capacity of the scale and the weight of the trailer. As an example, my all-steel tandem-axle car trailer weighs approximately 1500 pounds, with most of that weight on the axles. For the sake of discussion, we can discount the tongue weight as being nearly zero, relative to the axle weight. That puts 750# per side on each side of the trailer, divided between the front and rear axles... about 375# per wheel. Most bathroom scales don't go over about 300#. With the equalizers between the front and rear axles, I can't just weigh at one wheel -- I have to weigh both wheels (on one side) at the same time.
How to do it? Archimedes (and his lever) to the rescue! Use your bathroom scale with strong piece(s) of lumber and a fulcrum. Place a fulcrum at one end of the lumber and your scale at the other end (see images here: http://tinyurl.com/38ukya and here: http://tinyurl.com/2vaffv ).
Note the scale reading (or zero the scale if it has that capability). Place the trailer tire on top of the lumber 1/3 of the distance between the center of the fulcrum and scale. Your scale reading is now one half of the true weight. If you have a tandem-axle trailer, you will have to use a second piece of lumber, in order to support both tires at the same time. Still too much weight for the scale? Place the tire(s) closer to the fulcrum -- the scaling factor is the ratio of the distances between the tire(s) and the two other points. The longer the board, the easier it is to adjust the ratio. Of course, you'll need to choose a wood beam that can handle the weight w/o breaking.
Bryan

Weigh the truck and trailer as a combo and then weigh the truck only. Subtract one from the other and voila!
Mike

This will work but if you want to measure axle load on trailer, you need to weigh trailer axle only with it hitched up or with tongue on a stand off of scale with axle still on it. (I do this A LOT) ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

He did not indicate that he did.

Another answer to an unasked question. <rolls eyes>

text from first post
I made a trailer and want to get it weighed. Went to a truck stop, but my trailer was too light for their scales. Any other suggestions?
his reply to my comment on not knowing the size of the trailer.
My guess is that it is about 1,700 lbs. I want to know for sure how much it weighs.
now with these two pieces of information I have some honest info to suggest on....all kidding aside if your local truck stop's scale cant determine a diff of 1700 lbs in your rig (the truck and the trailer minus the trucks weight is the weight of the trailer) then there is something seriously wrong with the accuracy of their scale. I would try to find another scale, whether its at another truck stop, scrap yard, shipping center, land fill (oh yea no one's thought of this one have they?) or where ever. if a truck scale cant tell the diff in nearly 2,000 lbs then I question the scale and/or the operator of their accuracy.
now also if I may ask. are you wanting to know the weight of the trailer for your own curiosity or because of loading considerations? what kind of trailer did you build? (to satisfy my own curiosity at this point)
I hope that is of some actual help.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

I also wondered about it, but,. life is what it is and truck scales are not what will give me an accurate answer.

I have a big page with a lot of pictures about how I built this trailer:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/
It uses a bed from a military trailer M105A2. It is a super sturdy and strong, but relatively small trailer.
I want to know its weight due to loading considerations.

You also type a lot with constant spelling errors, gramatical errors, spout off a lot of B.S. and hardly ever, if ever answer a question that is posted. Questions such as "Where is the knock sensor on the Dodge V-1?" or like my question I posted in the Chevy group about replacing my cats. Instead of answering it, or ignoring it, you attempted to "educate me" on them.

Check with the guys that haul your scrap. The local yard has a very accurate truck scale. It accurately weighs my 195 pounds! Greg

Good idea. Thanks.
On Feb 11, 9:46 am, Ignoramus18738 <ignoramus18...@NOSPAM. 18738.invalid> wrote:

The truck scales around here can weigh the difference between a full tank and half-full when I roll across on my bike. If you don't have any locally try an aggregate yard; their scales are precise to the pound or better.
Wolfie

Or any concrete batching plant.
beekeep
Scrap yard, or recycling center. The one near me has a scale which reads in 20 pound increments. Drive on. Detach trailer. Drive on again. Subtract.
You went to a truck stop and couldn't get weighed? That's pathetic, man!
(Anyone remember the "want to get weighed" joke? I'll tell it, if you ask.)
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Do you mean that I am pathetic, or the truck scale?

Any man who goes to a truck stop and can't get weighed is doing something wrong. You're pathetic.
If you know the joke, the above statement is funny. Happy to tell the joke, if someone asks.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Speech impediment? <G>
A wittle more information, and they'll have the whole joke.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

This thread is unbelievable as to how much conversation it has generated. To weigh a trailer you do what has been done for the last 50 years - you go to a truck stop, weigh the truck and trailer together, unhook the trailer and then weigh just the truck. With just the trailer on the scale and the truck off the scale gives you trailer axle weight.
On Feb 12, 4:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@xo.com (Electrician) wrote:

"This thread is unbelievable as to how much conversation it has generated."
And yet..." To weigh a trailer..."
LOL!
Wolfie
says...

Stick around if you can handle it. Not only will it get better but it will get worse.

azwiley1 wrote:

It used to be that 20% of the time it would get worse. Now it's 30% of the time that things get worse. Thats a 50% increase.