Proper Tire pressure

I have a Ram 1500 with 275/60 R20 tires. These are after-market tires so reading the door jam will not work. Bought it used. I think max air pressure is 80*

Anyone know about what pressure these should carry? THANKS Linda

Reply to
audit2

Read the side wall of the tires, they'll tell you the proper pressure.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

You need to carry a lot of pressure in those kinds of tire/rim combos too to minimize the chance of impact damge to rim with limited sidewall between tread and rim.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

6.5" of sidewall isn't exactly "limited".... in fact, it's barely less sidewall then on a stock 16" tire from earlier years (my '95 3500 came stock with 215/85R16's, which had 7.1" of sidewall, on a much heavier vehicle).
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You need enough tire pressure to maintain a flat contact patch when warm. The exact pressure reading will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

The sidewall will tell you max pressure only. Doesn't tell you normal operating pressure.

Start at about 50psi. Put a few miles on the tires on a sunny day. Let them get warm. Find a flat lot to play in.

Cover a patch of tread with simple childs colored chalk. Cover the entire width of the contact patch. Now drive a few truck lengths.

Look at the chalk. It should be scrubbed off evenly across the contact patch. If more is left on the outside edges, the pressure is too high. If more is left in the middle, pressure is too low.

Reply to
.boB

Real good advice imo.

Reply to
Roy

In theory you are correct but in pratice the average clearnace in less because of normal tire deflection underload and is likley around 5.5 inches or a bit less which is not much for a big heavy tire on a big heavy vehicle and a unexpected chuck hole. Wheel rim companies have got to love them because they get to still extra wheel from raod damage that they would not sell otherwise. 60's are kinda border line tires in this regard.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well Tom, the Idiot says your theory is correct.

Guess that will make your day!

Reply to
Roy

A day in this NG would not be complete without a apperance of a troll such as Roy. He is such a child! We can all only hope he will grow up one day.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

We've heard this shit from you how many times now? I lost count...

----------------------------------- :::::::::Snojob Follies::::::::: SBJ: Dumb brake question

SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
you weren't so damn dense you would be too embarrassed and ashamed to post anymore.

Reply to
Heatwave

Gee, all I did was pretty much repeat what you said about Tom being correct in theory. You of course being the ultimate troll feel the need to lash out.

You truly are a Idiot!

Sig adjustment time again,

Reply to
Roy

That is some funny stuff. Sad, but funny at the same time. I wonder where his buddy the crotch cannibal is. He might enjoy the read.

Reply to
Roy

Well Roy, You're gonna have to lighten up on your ole buddy or he won't spring for the Castles when you come to Ohio. I can take you to Ruth's Diner but the meatloaf there don't compare to a WC.

How was the trip north this time?

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Ya know, he really sucks!!

Not bad. Lost a hour in Del. due to line painting. But it was a good trip. Back down next month after we get everything packed.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

See, punkin, .boB is right. Even Skippy says so. You still inflating your tires to the 65psi max because that's what's stamped on the sidewalls?

Reply to
Beryl

Did you get the house sold yet??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Nope. Have had a bunch of offers, but all are contingent on the buyer selling their house. I'm not going that route. To by a house around here, with the mortgage industry soo screwed up, you need to have a credit rateing of around 680 or better and have a 20% down payment. So, to buy a house for $400K, you must come up with a $80K down payment. Most folks don't have that kind of cash laying around, it is in the equity of the house they are in. So, they have to sell their home to get it. Bottom line, things are kinda paralyzed unless the home your selling is listed for $250K or under. It is what it is. We are packing things up and will be outa here by mid Oct. Things will turn around eventually.

Oh, I decided to keep the AR and am selling the Sig 9mm and the Walther PPKS

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Patience is a virtue.... or so they say.

You suck!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

uh......i'd make a offer on the sig but you'd be offended at what i can afford to spend at the moment.......

although im sure its a better offer than the white castles the floppy eared friend we have would offer you.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Yup, I have a lot of it.

C'mon you have enough firepower over there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy