punch a hole in the night

I think I need to add some auxilary lights to my 2500. I'd like to turn the night into day - what are the best lights and mounts that will do the job?
Maybe a couple 'o aircraft landing lights?

carefull where you use them, you'll either get a ticket or shot at..
Denny

Without going into HIDs (there are stand-alone HID's that will generate 1.5 million candlepower - but they're a bit pricey), I believe the most powerful light is still the Dick Cepek C-1000 light, now sold by Extreme Suspensions:
http://www.extremesuspensions.com/lighting/lighting_index.htm
I had two of these on my old truck, and WOW... they would throw light out as far as you could see. They're not meant to operate with the vehicle sitting still, however - they need airflow for cooling (they've got a little ram air scoop built into the housing).
At 210W and 750,000cp each, they should do the trick.
Jeremy Guerdon wrote:

Aircraft lights would probably be very dim on your truck. All of the ones I worked on had 28 volt dc electrical systems.
--
Ken

100 watt KC's or hella's are popular. Quite a few people mount them on the cross bar in front of the radiator so they are actually out of sight behind the grill when they aren't on. Try over at dodgetalk.com, You might have to sign up to see the pics, and use the search function, but it's a very active dodge truck forum. take a look at threads like "Hella Black Magic Behind the grill, let's see all those behind the grill pics" http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t 1886 and Hella 500's installed behind the grill (pics!) http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?tu498
Those and other threads do into detail as to how to install and wire them up.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:10:27 -0600, JJ2 wrote:

Many great posts - lots of good info. I think these Hella's are just what I'm looking for. Thanks!
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:10:27 -0600, JJ2 wrote:

Is there a retailer that everyone likes to use for stuff like this? You know - seriously honest, good value, etc.......

The hellas? Wal-Mart sometimes has a set in stock, AutoZone. Amazon... Think they are $50-$60 a set for the driving lights if they are on sale. Amazon has them at $54 with free shipping.
Beyond that, other stuff, yep there are good dealers, quite a few are sponsors on dodgetalk and have special deals, some nice discounts on oem parts too from sponsor dealers.
What kind of stuff you thinking about? What year and engine?
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:19:53 -0600, JJ2 wrote:

The beast is a '97 2500, 5.9 Cummins.
I really like the look of the Hella Black Magic - either twins or quads mounted behind the grill. I need to measure the behind-grill-space when I get it back from the shop (having it painted now).
Guess I'll get some gauges next.....

Oh a 2nd gen and diesel, don't know much about either. Check your state laws, often they spec that aux driving lights have to be on a lower center than the headlights. IIRC the grille opening on a 2nd gen is higher than the fact headlights. That's not a problem on the 3rd gen's, the headlights are at a considerably higher center than the grille opening. You might have better luck figuring out a way to put some rectangular lights in or behind the bumper opening. That seems like it would look good and prob work just as well. Good luck.