Putting Clark 5 speeds in pickups

I was looking for a cheap tow rig and came across a '73 Dodge two wheel drive with a 383 and a Clark five speed from a "retard bus" (the short wheelbase school bus). The truck was originally an automatic, it
had the auto steering column and brake pedal, cut down to clear the clutch. it also has another neat feature, a York AC compressor converted into an air compressor with a working compressor clutch. There is also a second, Sanden Sankyo compressor for A/C) and a ND alternator instead of the Mopar one. It has a power steering pump too. It appears very well done. However the owner wants $6500 for the truck. It's very nice but obviously a mechanical mutt. It has bucket seats out of a Japanese car too, maybe the same one that yielded the alternator and compressor.
The owner says these are fairly common in North Florida. Anyone down there know about this? $6500 is not that cheap for me.

For $6500, you should be looking at a 93+
Roy

Sure it was not $650?? ;-) Value is in the eye of the beholder in this case! I would not touch a "Johnny Cash" special like that for any where near what he is asking! Greg
Greg O wrote: <<snip>>

As a '73 it is out of most state emissions inspection programs. (And entitled to a flat low registration in my state.) It is a fully rebuilt truck with new rear end gears and axles, brake drums, brakes, front discs,(all stainless/brass lined cylinders and calipers) a rust free cab on new mounts, urethane (not basecoat/clearcoat) paint, clean interior, with less than 20,000 miles on a handbuilt, semi-blueprinted engine with all receipts and a factory rebuilt Clark 5 speed. The guy is taking a serious financial loss as he spent as much to build it as a new stripped truck would cost. It has a serious sound system with outboard amp and a very nice Sony radio with satellite radio and six disc changer control. The bed is Rhino Lined and he has two spare wheels and tires (aftermarket white spokes, powdercoated) and a spare starter, carb, distributor (points type: electronic is on the engine) and all the manuals.
I already bought it last night. My insurance agent tells me he can only write $3800 in coverage on it, but that's livable. I think I did OK.

Find a appraiser that is approved by your insurance company and get a stated value policy. Good luck with your new toy!
Roy

It sounds better than you first described it! It is probably a good truck. Just hope the fellow that screwed all the pieces together knew what he was doing, or it could be a nightmare! Greg