Question about the differential

I have a 2004 Dakota SXT four wheel drive with the V-6 engine and automatic transmission. Can some one please tell me what kind of differentials these trucks have? Did they come with limited slip or conventional. How does one tell ?? Also what would be the best lubricant to use when I change it?

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

there is a tag on the rear end, and also under hood that should tell you what axle and whether it is ASD (Anti Spin Differential) or not.

you can also take your vin to your local dealer's parts department and ask for a print out of factory options.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Jack up one rear wheel, and with the transmission in neutral, try turning the wheel. If it turns, you have an open differential. If it won't turn, you have a limited slip.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

THis does not always work so it is not 100%.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yeah - if your limited slip is worn to the point that it functions like an open diff, then it won't work. Otherwise, it works just fine.

Ya ever figure out how to fit an 8.25" ring gear into an 8" carrier?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Not on a GM GovLoc it may well look open when in fact it works fine. Like I said it is not 100%. Kinda a better test for a Dodge is to jack up both rear wheel and with tranny in neutral when you spin one tire, the other will goes same direction and match it. If it goes in reverse it is open.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You're aware this is a Dodge truck newsgroup, right?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yes I was just saying that not all LSD's act the same. In theory since Dodge uses the same AAM axle in a some trucks as GM does (GM did first) that they "could" in theory anyway have a GovLoc in them. (whether by a total screw up or after market) Not likely but still possible though very remote indeed.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Okay, I'll concede that point. If someone were drunk off his butt at the assembly plant, and accidentally shipped a rear axle for a Colorado down to Saltillo, AND another Chrysler worker were similarly drunk off HIS butt, and installed that axle under a Dakota, then maybe - just MAYBE - some poor Dak driver would jack up one rear tire, turn it freely, and feel he got ripped off by his dealer for installing an open diff when he paid for an LSD.

Of course, this would have to happen during a stampede of elephants on the

4th of July, between the hours of 3:45 and 4:15, during a hail storm, with one baby zebra.... but it COULD happen :)

By the way - does 8.25" equal 8.0" yet? Just checking....

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Hey....I saw that happen!!!.. That's the reason I bought that big Smith...just in case it ever happened again..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Give the Smith to your daughter, we know she is the better shot.

I'll leave the one liners about elephants alone for now.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

She may be with some but not that one. Tis a bit much for her arm.

Just cause you can't think of any....

How was the trip???

Denny

Reply to
Denny

You know better!

Fantastic! Everything went as smooth as silk.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks guys for the information. I jacked both rear wheels off the ground and they turned in opposite directions. So it must be open differential. ( I think)

Thanks again, Dennis B.

Reply to
Dennis

That is correct, it is an open rear.

Reply to
TBone

I've got a 2001 RAM (RWD) that was ordered with limited-slip.

When I turn a corner from a standing stop, the rear tires frequently squeal a little, and feel like they want to hop, so I'm thinking that I really do have limited slip, although when driving off road or on snow/slush during the winter I find I don't have the traction I think I should have when driving on, say, wet/soggy terrain.

Reply to
MoPar Man