Questions on Ram broken leaf spring replacement

I have a '95 Ram 2500HD (1-ton suspension package, I believe) with a broken rear leaf. The truck has 110,000 miles on it and I'm assuming it could use complete new spring packs, but since I'm moving south soon, well out of the rust belt, I'd like to put as little money into it as possible.

Despite the corrosion, I was able to get the u-bolts off without much difficulty. The broken spring is the third one down, of four, and it's the one that the clips are attached to. The center bolt that holds the pack together has a round head on it and I'm having trouble getting any real torque on it to get it apart. Can I just cut this bolt and buy a new one from the sping shop that I'd be getting the replacement leaf from?? Also, do I have to cut the clips to get this leaf out, and do they not need to be there ?

I also did try the nuts holding the shackle on, just to see if they'd come off, and was able to, but are those threaded rivets instead of bolts? They didn't seem to want to drive out whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Scott

Grogan-1

Yes - but use a pair of C-clamps to hold the spring pack together (one just on either side of the center bolt) before removing the bolt. Even with no weight on the pack, the individual leaves are still under some tension. Crank down good-n-tight on the C-clamps, and you might even take enough tension off the center bolt to back it off. If not, sure - just cut it and replace it with a new one.

All three bolts that hold the rear springs in place (front, and rear shackle-to-spring and shackle-to-mount) should be the same - a big Torx head, and a nut on the other side. The end of the bolt where the nut threads on should be a hex-shape, allowing you to turn the nut with a big wrench, and hold the bolt still with a small wrench. They will all come out, but may be held in place from rust/corrosion. Just whack 'em harder :)

Are you anywhere near Jersey? I've got a pair of leaf springs from my '99

2500 just sitting and collecting dust. They're cheaper than what the replacement leaf will cost you (heck, they're cheaper than what the new center bolt would cost you :)
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for your help, Tom. I'm doing this out in the driveway and ended up putting it back together for now. I probably won't get back to it for a week or so, having so much going on right now. I'm 30 miles north of Boston, but even with the distance, your offer is tempting. Just how far down into NJ are you ?? I probably should have left my real email before. It's j*u*m*p*i*n*j*o*h*n*t*a*y*l*o*r*@yahoo.com, minus the obvious.

Dana

Tom Lawrence wrote:

Reply to
jumpinjohntaylor