Rack and pinion box

2002 Dakota 4x4 with 5 speed and 4.7 v8, regular cab needs the rack and pinion unit changed because its leaking, getting hard to steer now. Is this a known problem when they get this old? Mechanic says can exchange for a
rebuilt unit, but is it worth trying to get the part at a junkyard, good used or is the rebuild unit the best for the long run?

it make so that Jodi can have the same problem?
beekeep
Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (3/29/2011 5:13 AM):

Getting even because you didn't get any cookies? With that attitude..
::points at beekeep with spoon:: No Cookies For You!
Mike and Denny, did you enjoy yours?
jmc Who gave up quantifying Dak noises. It's old, there's too many. :)
"jmc" wrote in message

Getting even because you didn't get any cookies? With that attitude..
::points at beekeep with spoon:: No Cookies For You!
Mike and Denny, did you enjoy yours?
Yummmmm! Yes.... as usual....
Mike

WTF!!!!!! Jodi, ya gave CCCookies to that chubby, friggin Rabbit??? He's been doin' a hatchet job on you for months.
Worse than that, the fat, floppy eared, rest area hangin' out Rabbit, didn't offer to share any with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is just sooo damn wrong in so many way's. I gotta go to the beach and regroup.
<BFG>
Roy

Actually Jodi I haven't recieved mine yet. You got a tracking number???? I'm afraid ole Mike got both boxes....
Denny
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (3/30/2011 4:29 PM):

Trying to get more, are you? ;-D
jmc
On 3/30/2011 4:29 PM, Denny wrote:

That second box was yours? (Burp...) Well, they *were* good.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

"Denny" wrote in message

Actually Jodi I haven't recieved mine yet. You got a tracking number???? I'm afraid ole Mike got both boxes....
<burp!> who? .... me? Mike
Denny

Everybody has the burps but me. Dammit.......
Denny
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (3/30/2011 8:45 PM):

I still think you got 'em and are just hiding the fact, hoping to sucker me into sending more.
jmc

Ole PT said there was a sucker born every minute....... <BG>
Denny
On 3/30/2011 8:45 PM, Denny wrote:

Sorry, we're rubbing it in... I'd write a longer reply, but headed to the store for some more milk... Can't eat CCCs without milk!
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Milk is the devil... Having been raised on a dairy farm I can tell all kinds of stories about that milk you're slurping.......
CCC's must be dunked in black coffee before they are consumed. It softens the crunchy ones up so you don't break a tooth.......
Denny

I see it once in a while but not that often. I'd compare the price of the reman to what you can get a used one for and then decide. Remember that the used one is 9 years old and probably has no warrenty past one hour.
Denny
Thanks, I decided to go with the rebuilt unit, 3 year 30K mile warranty from the auto parts store.