Radiator drain plug removal

My 97 Ram radiator drain in leaking thru the small drip tube on the drain. I tried to tighten it but no luck... still drips. If I try to unscrew the
plug, after 1/4 turn there is some resistance to remove it. I DON'T want to break the thing off then have to replace the whole radiator! I think the O-ring is shot so I ordered a new one which I'll pick-up tomorrow. Is there a trick to getting the thing out? I don't like surprises!!
Thanks in advance, Dave

turn then pull down and turn if I recall was how I did it