radio

Vehicle info: 2002 Dodge Dakota, Quad, SLT, 3.9, auto. Radio info: Sales code RBK AM & FM stereo radio with graphic equalizer, CD player and CD
changer controls. See Owner's manual page 105. The radio works well for the first 15 minutes. The controls can be accuated. After playing the radio for approx. 15 minutes any manipulation of the On/Off/Volume Control turns the radio off; the display blinks on and off for a length of time up to ten minutes and then the radio plays normally until the On/Off/ Volume Control is turned, pushed or manipulated. Question: What is wrong and what is the fix.

The unit is fubar; the fix is a replacement. The most economical fix is an aftermarket unit.
Joe...
I appreciate your very candid and timely response. I would appreciate further any info that helped you to reach your conclusion.
John

Sounds like the circuit board has a short or open circuit in there some where.. Cheaper to just replace the unit with some thing else. Lorne

To have the dealer fix whatever is wrong will almost certainly cost more than purchasing a new aftermarket unit.
OTOH, I have a perfect RAZ unit (AM/FM/CD/cassette, CD changer controls, RDS, etc.) that I will sell to you for $100 plus shipping.
Here's a pic:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_raz2a.jpg
It's the OEM unit still in my '03 Dak, which will plug right into your harness for the RBK with no modifications. Let me know if you're interested.

player
the
is
You have a problem with something heating up and going intermittant. The easiest way to troubleshoot this is to get a can of freeze spay, put the radio on a work bench, unassembled of course, run it till it fails and then shoot the freeze spray on different sections of the circuit board untill the radio comes back to life. Then narrow down your search to a single component. bg John Carrington wrote in message ...

accuated.
for
bg...
Thank you for your answer.