Ram 2500 Ouad Cab Tires

Page 1 of 2
Good Day All I am looking for input on tires for my 01 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Truck with a Cummins Diesel. I am tired of all the tire web sites,salesmen etc and thought I would ask
the group which tires you have had the best luck with. Most of my driving is highway,rain,snow sometimes deep,some driving through Nevada in the Summer,etc and pull a car trailer a lot.I hated the oem Michelins they were crap in the rain and not much better in the snow. I appreciate all the help I have had on previous issues and thought I would try this one..Thanks in advance....
Marty Stewartson wrote:

The OEM Michelins are LTX A/S. They have lousy traction in rain and clog up in snow. The LTX M/S are the tires I've ever had for all around driving. They stick like glue in the snow. They're expensive but last 60K+ easily. If you drive quite a bit in the snow or off road then the LTX A/T's might be worth a look. The A/T's downfall is more road noise and most likely slightly lower mpg. I also like Michelins Cross Terrain but I don't believe they have them in the higher load ratings. I have them on my Durango and take it in the snow every winter.

I've got the Michelins (LTX A/S) on my Ram, and they are lousy. Terrible wet and snow traction and the sidewalls are cracking badly. Goodyear has just introduced and excellent heavy truck tire, the Wrangler Silent Armor. That will be my tire of choice for my Ram in the near future.
Mike
Mike Simmons wrote:

Goodyear makes some good tires. The Goodyears (Wrangler R/S?) they put on some Rams are worthless like the LTX A/S. I've just had such good results from the LTX M/S and Cross Terrains I'm hard pressed to go with anything else. My new Ram has the LTX A/S so I'm probably going to have to scrap them this winter.

I still like my K-S Safari Trex.

If you've got the A/S on your Ram Miles, rotsa ruck getting around the snow and ice this winter. My truck is like a hog on ice with 'em.
Mike
Mike Simmons wrote:

Since the A/S tires are new I might get a set of M/S tires and put the A/S in the garage during the winter. I live in AZ so only need the M/S tires for weekend trips to the snow through the winter. I just hate to through away new tires that are ok on dry pavement which is what I drive on mostly.

I hear you! That's why I've put up with the A/S that came on the truck for the last five years. When the snow and ice come (infrequently) I park the Ram and drive something else. I still have a lot of tread left at 65K miles but now that the sidewalls are cracking I can now justify getting rid of 'em and putting on a set of Goodyears.
Mike
Mike Simmons wrote:

I can't figure out why Dodge went with the A/S tires. They are about the same price (retail) as the M/S or A/T's which are far better tread design. Dodge did the same thing with Goodyear tires. They put on Wrangler R/S tires which have zero traction in the snow yet cost about the same as far better Goodyears.

Interesting, my 07 Quad CTD came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A as stock from in Canada.
I don't know if I should feel short changed or glad.

I wouldn't feel shortchanged. The Goodrich is a good tire, especially in winter conditions. The tread life isn't as good as the Michelins, but when your sliding around in the slop, somehow treadwear isn't too high on your priority list.
:^)
Mike

the cold slippery stuff. yea thats it...
--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

Ya but in the humid hot south there are things I love here in AZ that baffle people from the south. Things like mister systems on patios, swamp coolers and drying clothes outside!! How do you do it? I was just in FL with 90F and 80% humidity and lemme tell ya, 110F and 10% humidity in Phoenix is preferable!!

no doubt there. my A/C has been working overtime for the past couple of months and i have the power bills to prove it. we have been seeing 100+ with high humidity (recently let off thank God!!!) the humidity puts a real load on the house a/c. and my wife always complains about how much slower the cab of the truck is to cool when its hot, then i remind her that it has what twice the cab volume of her liberty *snicker* and that she's 9 months pregnant....(we are going to be having the baby this week, ill post some pics on photobucket for those that might be interested) i like it out Phoenix way but its too far from family, they are all here in the south east so i'd prefer to stay here or close, but would like a break from the humidity.
i have some family that's in the mid west and have been out visiting them during the summers in the past and the dry heat is MUCH better than this humid heat, i'll give ya that. (family on my mom's side her uncles & aunts)
oh yea that damp cold that'll be here in a few months will make me wish it was summer again as i dont like being chilled to the bone like that. if it wasnt for the snow and ice up north i'd almost move up there during the winter to have a dryer cold, but in my opinion all snow and ice are good for is tearing up otherwise perfectly good vehicles. in the even we get any down here, witch happens what once every 10 years?, i just stick the trucks in the garage and hang out at the house for a few days. (remember the tearing up trucks?) besides when's the last time you seen a GA driver in snow??? if ya havent count yourself lucky, you would probably be scared to death!!!!
--
Chris

I'm moving south. I will get to play in the snow for about five months. more if I go to Banff every so often.
I had Michelin M&S s before on my 92 Dakota. They were pretty good on all types of snow up here. I have had Goodrich before and I do like them better, except for the rotten tread life.
Oh well, we had snow when we were camping last weekend. None in the city, though and none expected any time soon. I know I will get to use the 4x4 far too much pretty soon. I would love to be able to complain about the humidity.
Wayne J. wrote:

I get the best of both worlds living in AZ. It's a 1 or 2 hour drive from sunny warm desert to cold snowy mountains.
It's kind of like NH. I can be on the ocean or in our White Mts also in 2-2.5 hours. Clamming in the morning,skiing in the afternoon. Only we don;t get that nice temperature difference you get.

I run Cooper Discoverers. They will last me about 35k, but usually change them at 25k because I prefer a deep tread in winter. They get a great bite in snow and mud. Rain doesn't affect them at all. Road noise is minimal. At $125 a tire, the price is hard to beat.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own
Marty Stewartson wrote:

I put Pathfinder All Terrain 265/75-16s (Discount Tire house brand) on my '99 Ram 2500 Quad Cab diesel. They do good in mud and aren't too bad in the rain. It hasn't snowed in Atlanta since I got them two years ago so I can't say how they'd do for you in the winter. They were a pain to have balanced. Discount Tire had to try eight different tires before they could get a set of four to balance right. I think next time I'm going with the BFG Radal All Terrain T/A. There aren't many all terrain tire choices in 265/75-16 that have the load range E rating. If you have the stock 16 X 6.5" wheels I don't think you can go any bigger than that size.
--
Ken

I have Bridgstone Dueler A/Ts on mine. Run smooth on the Hwy and a good affordable tire. You can get them from Firestone.