RAM 3500 Will get the 6.7L Cummins

Found this tidbit in the Detroit Auto News:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/AUTO01/603020369/1148/rss25
The Ram 3500 Chassis Cab will offer a 5.7-liter gasoline engine and a
6.7-liter Cummins turbo diesel. It will have a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,200 pounds, the maximum weight of the truck when it's loaded to capacity.
In an attempt to outdo competitors, the Dodge Ram 3500 also will feature a segment-best hauling capacity -- 10,200 pounds -- and the largest standard fuel tank, which holds 52 gallons of gas.
OK, So they're talking about the chassis cab 3500 and not the pickup, but I'd bet they'll put the new Cummins in the pickups too.
OTOH, I thought some of the 3500's already went to 11,000 GVWR?
Greg

Greg.. what IS a chassis cab??
Mac

A truck with no pickup box... also a straight frame, instead of curving up in the back like the current frames do - makes mounting a custom box/bed/whatever easier. Think about roll-back beds, mason dumps, wrecker setups, etc.
They needed to boost GVW rating because CTD adds a lot of weight to truck.(about 600 lbs) Not so sure about the 52 gal tank being good as it would be expensive to fill up and create a bigger environment or consensation to occur and have water in fuel problems if tank is not keep resonably full and also add a few hundred pounds to curb weight as well further cutting into rated GVW. They need to improve fuel efficency of gas models rather than just adding a bigger tank to make up for poor range under load. I have a 40 gallon tank in a old burb and I would not want a tank any bigger than that as my main tank.

I can see the 52 gal tank on this one since it isn't a regular pickup, but a cab & chassis, which means it would most likely be used for commercial work.

That's gotta be a SRW version at 10,200... because yeah, my '03 dually is rated at 12,000lbs.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/AUTO01/603020369/1148/rss25
I don't see how putting a 5.7 liter gas engine in a 3500 will be "outdoing the competition."

Yeah, they've taken a large step backwards if they are competing with Nissan and Toyota ;-)