Ram Headlight Problem

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. When I have my headlights on bright they sometimes flicker off leaving just the fog lights working. When I put them back on dim they work fine. I tried turning off the fog lights and turning the headlights on bright but it did the same thing. I replaced the headlight switch with a used one over a year ago. I am wondering if it might be the turn signal lever that is bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Grizzz3

With the headlamps on, you will have voltage on the lg/bk wire going into cavity 21 on the dimmer switch. If you have voltage there, you're headlamp switch is ok.

The wire for the dim headlamps is the vt/wt wire coming out of cavity

  1. The rd/or wire out of cavity 20 is the high beams.

Hope this helps

Denny

I just re-read your post. Your fog lamps shouldn't be on when your high beams are on unless somebody has modified the wiring.

Reply to
Denny

No, my fog lamps are not on when the high beams are. It is when the beams are on high the head lamps go out leaving the fog lamps on only, unless I have them turned off.

Reply to
Grizzz3

Not sure if this is applicable for the 1998 model, but some of these problems were blamed on cracking dashes which push on the wiring. I have a 2000 model and was affected by it. Now reading you post, I recall having had similar behavior intermittently with my headlights to the extend that it went completely dark. My dash got replaced by the dealer for free by now over a year ago and I have not had a problem with the headlights since. Again, not sure if that has anything to do with, just a thought.

Reply to
axel