RAM won't idle??????

1999 Dodge RAM 318 will not idle. If I keep RPMs above about 1000, it runs fine. Below that and the engine dies. Any thoughts? Thanks

Check the battery.
I'd bet money on the EGR valve being clogged open....had it happen and the symptoms were identical to yours!!

I'd bet money against it, as the '99s didn't have EGR.

Possible, though I like the battery suggestion, myself... pretty common. When the battery's voltage drops too much, the computer doesn't adjust the IAC motor properly. Light application of the throttle allows enough air to maintain combustion.

Vacuum leak will cause a high idle on a fuel injected vehicle.

Ah, my mind is still carbureted!

This happened with my Dakota V6. The intake manifold gasket failed, and oil was sucked from the top of the engine and into the throttle body, where it gummed up the idle control motor, causing it to fail. Dealer charged me about $1200 to replace the gasket, take the throttle body apart to clean it, and replace the idle control motor.

Wow... did you at least get dinner first?

Most likely problem is a dirty throttle body or a bad IAC motor. Clean the throttle body and go from there.