Rattle in back end - 2001 Dakota

Ok, now that it's warm enough (finally!) to open the windows, I've noticed a rattling coming from the backend of my 4x4 Dak. The rattle appears to be either just something loose, or something in the
suspension, since it's directly related to how bumpy the road is (and the truck's probably due for new shocks - getting that checked is on my to-do list). I can't quite pinpoint the sound from within the cab, and can't see anything amiss when I look around. Admittedly though, I'm hardly an expert.
Any suggestions on where I should look, or how I can narrow down where the rattle's coming from? I found that the driver's side wheel well cover was loose, but turns out that wasn't the problem (bummer).
The truck's unprotected metal is rusting prematurely due to England's nearly constantly wet climate and constant application of salt on the roads all winter, so it's certainly something to consider that a small bracket or something has rusted enough to break.
gaaa. Seems like the death of a thousand paper cuts with this truck recently. Nothing really serious ('cept the rotors that failed inspection), just lots of little things that are stacking up.
jmc

check your clearance on the exhaust pipes. wiggle them around. hangers may be loose causing the pipes to bang against something