Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

Threaded View

@news.uswest.net:

I have a 2003 Durango and its engine light is on.  THe procedure yields a
code of P 0456.   I suspect it means it's time to change the oil, but not
sure.  Anyone know what the codes mean?

Ted

Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Coasty

Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

Yeah - it means your gas cap is loose.  Actually, it points to a small leak
in your evaporative emissions system, but the most likely cause is you
didn't screw the gas cap on tight enough.

FYI - there's no OBD-II code that tells you to change your oil.

Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

On my 2001 Ram I had codes for a small leak at least 6 times over the
last 5 years.  Each time it was a bad hose, bad hose manifold, bad
fittings etc.  Since new I never went over a year without that error
showing up again.  Not once was it the gas cap.  I have heard thats
common but never my luck!

Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

Thanks all:  I disconnected the battery for a while - now all is well and
the error lamp is out. For now.

#$%$!&^% computers......

Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

Yep...  and if the computer had artificial intelligence, I'm sure it would
be mumbling something like, "#$%$!^% humans - can't they learn to tighten a
#$%$!^% gas cap?!"

:^)