Re: 2001 Dodge Ram Coolant

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 engine Regular Cab Sport. For the last few

> months my coolant recovery tank empties. My radiator stays full to the > top and there are no leaks present. The truck has never overheated. I > do not tow or abuse the vehicle. When I do add coolant it is the 50/50 > premix (green). It's about a quart or so a month I recall when I do > add coolant to the recovery bottle. I let the truck cool down > completely before I add any. Just wondered where is the coolant going? > Sometimes I can smell antifreeze, but there again I cannot find any > leaks or drips underneath the truck each day where I park. Has me > stumped. Any help appreciated. >
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

-Steve, The rug in the truck has never been wet. I checked the other day on my dipstick and opened the oil fill cap on the valve cover. The dipstick read normal in the safe range. The oil fill cap looked ok with nothing out of the ordinary. Oil probabley has 2,500 miles on it. I added more coolant to the recovery bottle with the engine up to temperature this time. We'll see what happens. I wondered if anybody had any opinions of taking a vehicle to the dealer to have a flush/fill/replace? What other items should be replaced when this is done? I've heard of the radiator cap being replaced. What about the thermostat, hoses, or anything else? Should I stay away from a flush and just do a fill? Wondering what other people do...i've never had this done to the truck before. Thanks.

Reply to
tiggy