Re: Are full-size trucks bought for utility or ego?

Agreed. I live just outside DC - nearly walking distance from a Metro station - and there STILL is no public transportation that will take me to my office (near Dulles Airport) Now the girlie does work in DC and does take the Metro every day, but she is always complaining about it... I would bet that if there were affordable parking near her workplace she'd be driving. Even with traffic as bad as it is, it'd be faster than Metro, and more reliable...
but in any case I agree with Jeff, I would say that the vast majority of people HAVE to provide their own transportation to work, be it driving, cycling, walking, whatever because they don't have public transportation options.
nate