Re: Are full-size trucks bought for utility or ego?

> > Obviously most people live where they could utilize some form of public > > transportation for part of their traveling - but if they choose instead > > to fight traffic; fight for parking spaces and pay all the associated > > costs to operate a vehicle, why not? =A0After all it is watching these > > folks that convince most of the remainder to use some form of public > > transportation, I think. > > My limited experience is that "most" is not accurate at all. "Some," is > accurate, but I would suggest that "most" is a stretch. > > In my little valley, there are 250,000 inhabitants. There is virtually no > public transportation to speak of. There is very limited bus service, and > even less taxi service. We have to drive 40 miles to the train station, > there are three trains outbound in the morning and three inbound in the > evening, and the schedule at each end of the line does not align very wel= l > with the workday.

Agreed. I live just outside DC - nearly walking distance from a Metro station - and there STILL is no public transportation that will take me to my office (near Dulles Airport) Now the girlie does work in DC and does take the Metro every day, but she is always complaining about it... I would bet that if there were affordable parking near her workplace she'd be driving. Even with traffic as bad as it is, it'd be faster than Metro, and more reliable...

but in any case I agree with Jeff, I would say that the vast majority of people HAVE to provide their own transportation to work, be it driving, cycling, walking, whatever because they don't have public transportation options.

nate

Reply to
N8N