Re: drivers side fender, white '05 3500

Tell us more about the parking lot posts.

> $300 each! In concrete, and painted yellow. > Sorta maybe like 6" diameter, heavy walled, concrete-filled barriers?

steel posts sunk in concrete under pavement. supposedly its a huge deal to replace them.

A bumper that won't deform in an impact like that will transfer quite a > shock to the truck's frame.

i was literally going _maybe_ 10-12 mph and literally never even felt the impact of the posts. i dont know if the posts themselves were filled with concrete, but im really not concerned about frame damage.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Your truck has a lot of energy at 10-12 mph. Like the Titanic. The fact that you didn't feel an impact doesn't tell the whole story. An exaggerated example...

A lightweight truck might bounce off those posts and leave them unscathed. But the coffee cup flies out of the cupholder.

Add 1000 pound load in the bed, the posts get bent over, but the driver feels the impact less. Some coffee spills, just a little.

Add 2000 pounds, the posts get flattened, the axle is torn off, but the truck is unstoppable and the driver feels nothing. No coffee is lost.

The truck's body, and contents, feel the least stress when it's heaviest. The frame feels the least stress when it's lightest.

The lady who lost control is responsible even though her car and your truck never made contact. If you were a pedestrian and jumped over the side of a bridge to get out of her way, and broke your neck, would she be off the hook merely because it was /your/ decision to jump rather than get mowed down? I don't think so.

Reply to
Beryl

one what legal grounds?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Dunno. I was just thinking sensibly. She lost control, causing you to react. If she had plowed into you, knocking your truck into a student and killing him, who would be responsible for that person's death?

BTW, I bet you felt the impact and just forgot. You are suffering some neck pain now, right?

Reply to
Beryl