Re: Engine oil viscosity

Perhaps I phrase my question as clear as I could have... so I will try again:

I am considering the purchase of a 2005/2006 Dakota SLT - therefore I do not have a manual to check. I was hoping someone with a manual would advise me of the preferred as well as the option (higher viscosity) oils that may be referred to in the owner's manual. Unlike some other car makers, Dodge does not seem to have a tech link that I am able to locate. My current vehicle manufacturer has a great support site complete with TSB's, oild viscosity charts etc.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Just do not make the mistake other owners have done, only use the appropriate 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils I prefer Synthetic. Using heavier weights in the summer will cause premature oil pump wear and failure.

When I bought my 98 Ram many of my friends started using the 20W-90 racing oils in their new Rams thinking they protected better in the heat. The heavier oil had the opposite affect and many of them were replacing failed oil pumps under 70K miles.

My brother-in-law a Chrysler/GM Tech warned me about heavy weight oils where the manufacturers specified 10W-30 as the heaviest to use. Well, my 98 Ram has almost 200k on it use 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes all my friends are driving around in newer Fords or Chevys cussing out Dodge calling their engines junk because, their engine did not get the appropriate lubrication. They did it to themselves but cannot see the forest before the trees.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
dwvick

If your owners manual says 5W-30 or 10W-30 that is what you should use. There are reasons for manufacturers recommended viscosities.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Amen! And in some of the new 5.7L multi-displacement engines, the improper viscosity oil may result in a check engine light being illuminated.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Nothing wrong at all with using 15w40 in a older engine in hot weather or to help reduce oil consumption in a worn engine. It will not hurt a thing and is a better choice for this than 10w40. It would not be my first choice in a new tight engine unless it got up to 100 or more a lot during that change cycle.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Useing a oil that is made for diesel in a gas engine is foolish for a number of reason's.

Reply to
Roy

Delo used widely and advertised in other countries for gasoline engines also. See below : Caltex Delo Sports - Available in Asia Pacific and Africa & Middle East regions. Delo Sports is a high-performance, multigrade, diesel or gasoline engine oil specifically designed to provide maximum protection for sport utility, sport activity, pickup, and 4x4 vehicles.

Reply to
dwvick

From Chevron's web page;

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic Engine Oil Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oil is recommended for use in turbocharged diesel and four-cycle gasoline engines, torque converters, gear cases and hydraulic systems operating in arctic-type climates and high temperature conditions. Using the latest synthetic oil technology, Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic provides excellent performance with either high- or low-sulfur diesel fuels and in extended service applications.

Reply to
Greg O

I would think that the additives used in a diesel oil would be different from that used in a gas engine. Also in most cases oil used in diesel engines are more expensive to buy than that used in gas engines.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Except DELO is an all fleet oil - EXCELLENT for gasoline engines as well as diesel. Like Rotella "T" as well.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The Delo is definitely not the cheapest you can buy, but generally quality does cost more.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca