Re: Mercedes still may profit from Chrysler

>>> Mercedes still may profit from Chrysler >>> >>> While the general understanding is that Mercedes is finished with >>> Chrysler, in fact Mercedes may still benefit from their so far ill >>> fated takeover. Unrecognized by most is that Mercedes made Chrysler >>> dependent on them for suspensions and transmissions for its large >>> cars, >> >> Patently false. The LX transmission (the one based on a Benz design, >> but revised and simplified) is manufactured at the CHRYSLER >> transmission plant in Kokomo. The suspension parts, likewise, are not >> truly interchangeable with Benz parts and are made by Chrysler. >> >> The break was cleaner than you make it out to be. The "Mercedes" >> components were all revised and are built in Chrysler plants by >> Chrysler. >> >> In the future, Chrysler may well buy small common-rail diesel engines >> from Mercedes, but that is functionally no different than buying the >> big 24-valve CRD from Cummins. Like Cummins, Caterpillar, Perkins, >> Detroit Diesel, Scania, and others, Daimler-Benz sells diesel engines >> to many, many OEMs. >> >> >> and one complete vehicle Chrysler will continue >>> to assemble from Mercedes supplied kits: the Sprinter. >> >> >> For now. I bet the Sprinter will get tossed from the Dodge lineup and >> only Benz and Freightliner will badge it in the future. > > If Chrysler was smart, they would develop their own Sprinter equivalent. > It has found tremendous acceptance in the parcel delivery field and > also in the RV industry for class B and C chassis. The order backlog > for the Sprinter is enormous and they sell all they can build. > > Mike

I have seen several other companies including a/c installers and information technology consulting companies using them as well Mike. It seems the ideal platform for any one wanting something comprable or even larger than the old B van was.

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson