Re: Re: Urea Tank May Soon Be Required For Diesel-Powered Vehicles

wrote:

You raise some good points. One ptentail problem I see with SCR's is that require high tempatures to work best (in the 300 to 600c range) which means a higher exhaust system temp must be maintained even longer which can lead to brush fires on SUV's in dry grass. It kinda remains to be seen what the light diesel future will be several years from now. The main reason that there is ULSD today is because it enable the usage of SCR's to control NOx emissions. Furthermore, the level of sulpher are to be continually reduced in coming years until 2013 when it will be mostly gone from fuel. Starting in 2010 Detriot is going to have to make diesel controls tamper proof which will require a bit of technology to enforce and it is supposed to disable engine if tampered with. This will not go over well with diesel owned that want to ship their trucks. I did notice one "nic" side effect of thisin that I heat with oil and in years past when wind was right you could smell furnace when it was running. The last oil I bought was low sulpher and the furnace has little order to it now. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com