Re-setting check engine lite (MIL)

My malfunction indicator light came on in my 01 Truck and called the service department and they said no big deal just bring it in when you can. With a little investigation I found that you can check the code by cycling the ingnition from on - acc -- on -- acc -- on and it will display on the odomiter.

My code was 455 which is EVAP (evaperoration system leak detection). Often caused by something as simple as a gas cap left off. Problem is Dodge does not seem to offer a user friendly way to reset the code. Called a firend that does have access to a code reader that would re-set it, but he said just disconnect the battery cables and short them together for a couple of minutes (we are talking about the cables, not involving the battery in any way!).

Worked and the stupid litle light is off. Might come back on if there is a real problem but would hate a trip to the shop for a false alarm.

John

Reply to
jcstowers

John,

Strangely enough I had the same problem with my '01 Dakota 3.9L last week. I unhooked the battery and while I was waiting I looked for bad hoses or any other obvious problems, and found none. I read somewhere that the gas caps can develop some rust inside (a spring?) and cause problems. They said that the more your vehicle gets wet, either from rain or from frequent washing, the faster this can happen. I can see what looks like rust coming from the hole in the middle of the cap.My light is still out but I will probably replace the gas cap to be safe. This was the first time the check-engine light has come on since I bought the truck new.

Gary B.

Reply to
Gary B

I havent driven mine enough to see if it will come on again but every thing I have read and the mechanic I talked to said "is your gas cap off". I am going to replace mine too but wait a while and see if it comes on again. Might even leave it off before to see if that forces it on now that I know how to reset it.

John

Gary B wrote:

Reply to
John

a little polishing up of the cap and receiver to take away the rust may save some bucks on a new cap.

Reply to
kilmister

The gas cap o-ring starts to develope a flat spot and produces a small leak not allowing the fuel vapor system to build up pressure. I use Dow Corinig #55 O-Ring lube on every o-ring from fuel to water the stuff is a perminent lube. It keeps the o-ring live and helps swell it to keep a seal. Been using it for years and I tried it on my 98 Ram gas cap several years back and solved the problem. Now I put it on all my gas cap o-rings and never had an issue.

Also, rust can develop around the seal area causing a leak no matter how many gas caps people buy they still leak. Remove the rust with steal wool and use a paint made for fuel/chemical resistance to protect. Some of the automanufacturers are going to SST fuel necks which solves the problem, the majority of the US auto makers just use galvanized steel which eventually will rust.

Reply to
Coasty

Anything close to slylicone? Used my dive stuff on several rubber gaskets today. Don't know how it works with exposure to gas though?

John

Reply to
John

Anything close to slylicone? Used my dive stuff on several rubber gaskets today. Don't know how it works with exposure to gas though?

John

Reply to
John

when we got our dakota in 02, (it's an 01 but we bought it used), we had the gas cap problem a few times and it drove me crazy until I found out that improper tightening was causing it.. As I remember, though, the reason that it drove me nutz was that it would go away for a while, then come back.. like the next time I filled the tank and didn't tighten it enough... I never had the code cleared, but don't think that it stayed for 50 cycles or whatever, like some codes do..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

After reseting my light it was fine for a week then left the cap loose on purpose. Light came on after a few miles and has not gone back off. Have to reset it again. Irritating that such a small thing would probably force most people into the dealer.

John

Reply to
John