Re: V6 vs V8

Page 1 of 2

I had an '88 Dodge Ram d150 with the V6 (basically a 318ci with 2 cylinders lopped off). It ran great but the body was rough, so I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it and bought a cream puff '87 Ram D150 with a slant 6. This second truck had 80K miles and was garaged since new, no rust, very, very clean and nice. The slant 6 was fine for the hauling and towing I had to do, but that V6 sure was smoother. Well, I guess it's a moot point since you can't even get an inline engine in a Dodge full size truck anymore.
-

Now for the flames!!!!! Educate him Ctd owners...

naww wouldnt want to tell him bout my lil 6 cyl.
I'm curious as to why the slant six didn't idle / run smooth. Every one that I had ran smooth enough to make you wonder if it was running or not.
Budd

Since I am the original poster of that reply (6 mos ago), the argument was about a V6 design, not an inline design and I am also a proud owner of an '04 CTD. Of course that also excludes the slant six as well. On another note, the slant six also had a nuch weaker bottom end in comparison to the GM and Ford equivelents. (5 vs 7 main bearings) This however was not an issue at stock power levels. As for not seeing inline engines as much as before, I am afraid it is because of packaging restraints created by today's compact body styles. Steve

There was nothing weaker about the bottom end of a slant six. It long stroke with a small bore required a different main bearing arrangement to keep engine compact. It had less bearing but the ones it had were very healthy and sturdy and nothing cheap in their design at all. The old slant six is likely the most durable 6 ever built and emmsions killed it off, not bad design. I owned a few slant 6's of the 60's era in the early to mid 70's and they were fine smooth engines and powerfull for their size too. Back it 74 when I was redeploying to another base in my 66 Cornet with a slant 6 I ran it across about all of Oklahoma at 90 MPH plus in summer heat with no problems. One fine motor.
Steve Lusardi wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

I'll agree about the "leaning tower of power" being a STRONG engine. I consistently revved my '63 170 over 6 thousand RPM, where it delivered 206 HP (dyno verified) to the rear wheels through a torqueflite. This was not a weekend racer, but an everyday street driven engine. It was still going strong at almost 200,000 miles on the original stock bottom end when I sold it. The '69 225 would not rev much over 5 grand, and was not nearly as highly tuned, but I drove that Dart across Montana at 104 MPH back in 1972.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in

Well, the slant 6 in my Ram wasn't that unsmooth. It was alright I guess; it ran great (esp. after replacing the plugged up cat converter). Besides the '87 Ram D150 with a slant 6, I also have owned a '64 Dart 170 with a \6 bought from the original owner in '95 for $700 with 90k miles and ran wonderfully and just had a faded paint job. I should have kept it and painted it instead of selling it. Stupid, stupid mistake. I also have owned a '72 Plymouth Volare that I bought at a charity auction for $300. That was a wonderful car -- 70k miles, white 4 door, plain jane low option car that was unmolested. It had no carpet, plain small hubcaps (original), radio delete (it still had the plastic cover that Chrysler put on cars that didn't come with a radio) but it did have the auto tranny (the only option it had).
Driving the '72 Volare 4 door was like driving some sort of municipal or gov't car or an unmarked detective's car or something. It ran perfectly after a full tuneup, but the cylinder head cracked while my sister was borrowing it. I gave a mechanic "friend" of mine $1000 to install a rebuilt head (that he could get for $200 from an acquaintance of his) and while it was apart, do a ring job/rod bearing job, change gaskets, flush the tranny, etc.. But instead of doing it that way, he just tore the head off of an old Duster in his friend's junkyard and put that in my Volare and then he just pocketed (stole) the $1000, without doing any additional work on the Volare (rings, bearings, etc.). The Volare ran like crap after he worked on it and had coolant/oil mixing. I was pissed and never did get that money back from him. I sold the Volare, in disgust. But I'd like to pick up another '70's Dart or Volare 4 door or even an Aspen.
-
Ya know, it's funny that, years ago, engineers from the current owners of Mopar (Diamler / Mercedes) don't agree that the /6 lower end is weak . . in 1960 they said the entire engine was the best engine ever designed. And it was the most produced of all the Mopar mills
Now, having personally taken 3 slant sixes over 100,000 miles myself (160K, 350K and 285 K), I think you're full of bull about the weak lower end.
By the way, a inline six is about the same length (except for the slant six which is about as long as a V-8) as a V-10, give or take a couple inches. And a whole lot narrower.
Budd

D150

Ah, he finally got it broken in. Darn near as bad as a Cummins on break-in.
I got worried, for no reason of course, about my first /6 so I overhauled it at 166,000 miles. It had been a well maintained car owned by a vacuum cleaner salesman and when I miked the journals there was less than 1/2 of 1/1000 of an inch wear. Bore didn't even have a ridge, so I honed them, popped in new rings, bearings, timing set and a rebuiilt milled head (0.090"). Then I installed a low restriction exhaust and rejetted the carb (the big BBS single) and started kicking some 2 barrel V-8 butt.
Budd

I remember a friend had one in 3 different valiants... kept wearing out the cars but that engine just wouldn't die..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

highway
break-in.
it
yea we loved the truck and had not a minutes problem out of the engine. but we needed something a little bigger and more family friendly so we sold it and bought the 99 v10 (what a differnce in mileage).

you mean going from MPG to GPM? *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

but
it
thats about the size of it....but it was fun =) last ride to the dealer to trade the v10 in on the 05 ctd my brother in law rode with. floored it from rolling start @ 70 scared the sh*t out of him! LOL

which moved faster, the gas gauge or the tach??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
the tach was fastest. mph and fuel matched speeds in diff directions *grin*
--
-Chris
05 CTD

yeah, I had an old Vett like that... burned a lot of gas to go a mile in a hurry, but you damn sure had fun going that mile.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I think that the popularity of front wheel drive is a big factor in the development of the v-6, also.. kind of hard to mount an inline six sideways.. *g*