Re: V6 vs V8

Ah, he finally got it broken in. Darn near as bad as a Cummins on break-in.

I got worried, for no reason of course, about my first /6 so I overhauled it at 166,000 miles. It had been a well maintained car owned by a vacuum cleaner salesman and when I miked the journals there was less than 1/2 of

1/1000 of an inch wear. Bore didn't even have a ridge, so I honed them, popped in new rings, bearings, timing set and a rebuiilt milled head (0.090"). Then I installed a low restriction exhaust and rejetted the carb (the big BBS single) and started kicking some 2 barrel V-8 butt.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Probably not, but those things looked about 10 feet wide.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I remember it as the all time rip off...

The ads on tv wee shot from almost underneath it and at an angle to make it look like a low, wide sports car... then, when you saw one on the street, it looked totally different... and bugly..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I remember a friend had one in 3 different valiants... kept wearing out the cars but that engine just wouldn't die..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It was to accomodate the 304 that the 78 and up Pacers got the raised hood/square grille. The car was originally slated for a Wankel. A dealer in the Northern states was installing 401 HOs in them, along with the old Gremlin.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

yea we loved the truck and had not a minutes problem out of the engine. but we needed something a little bigger and more family friendly so we sold it and bought the 99 v10 (what a differnce in mileage).

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

a wankel? shoot i thought mazda was the only ones crazy enough to use that desighn! *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

A 3-rotor Wankel went 9.85 @ 133.41mph:

They certainly havemy respect! As for the Pacer, they (sort-of) became cool when Wayne's Worldwas released. =) IMO, it's not the ugliest AMC... the aware would have togo to the Matador or Gremlin.Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

oh they have my respect, for the same reasons. but i also worked with the guys in the mazda shop for a while and they WOULD NOT take a rx7 on a test drive without a fire extengisher. LOL

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

you mean going from MPG to GPM? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The Pacer was supposed to receive a twin rotor Wankel that GM was supposed to put in the Vega although I think it was supposed to be upsized to a 3 or

4 rotor version to handle the higher curb weight.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

You mean Dick Teagues Matador coupe. The sedans and wagons were actually pretty classy.

GM was working on the Wankel, and it would have gone in a CORVETTE if it had come to be. The same engine was originally slated for the Pacer.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

thats about the size of it....but it was fun =) last ride to the dealer to trade the v10 in on the 05 ctd my brother in law rode with. floored it from rolling start @ 70 scared the sh*t out of him! LOL

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

which moved faster, the gas gauge or the tach??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

the tach was fastest. mph and fuel matched speeds in diff directions *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

yeah, I had an old Vett like that... burned a lot of gas to go a mile in a hurry, but you damn sure had fun going that mile.. *g*