Real Puzzle - Fluid leak

Okay, First, I am the guy that people usually come to with car problems. Great diagnostic and detective skills. I need some help now.

My 2000 Dakota Quad 3.9l 2wd is leaking something and I'll be darned if I can find it. The leak appears to be p/s fluid. I have spotted it a few times on the ground a foot or so behind the front right tire. It is never in much quantity. I got under the truck and found a little fluid on top of the frame rail and it seems to gather and drip off on the front body mount flange along the frame. I cannot find how it is getting there? It is yellowish tan, almost like fresh oil and I first thought it was Brake Fluid. It does not feel like oil or brake fluid and appears to match the P/s Fluid color. there is no P/S hose I can see in the area or along the frame where it could run down.

Any ideas?

Reply to
John Doe

R&P steering? Possible there's a leak in the rack somewhere, and it's travelling over to the right side?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

R&P is a fact. the unit and hoses are Way out in front of the point where the fluid is. The rack seems to be mounted below the level of the fluid on the frame. I considered the possibilty and could not trace the fluid nor was there an apparent low level in the PS res. I will keep hunting for it I guess. Thanks for the offer.

Reply to
John Doe

Well, in that case, I'd spray everything down with engine degreaser, clean it up real good, and coat the whole area with some talcum powder. Run the truck for a bit, then look for fluid traces left in the powder.

Either that, or put some leak detection dye in the P/S resevoir, and go at the underside with a black light in about a week's time - but that's assuming you're right and it really is P/S fluid.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence