rear axle speed sensor failure... symptoms?

Poking around Partsamerica.com, found the reliability ratings section... for my truck under brakes, it has "A periodic problem on this vehicle is
failure of the Rear Axle Speed Sensor." What would the symptoms be?
The other comment came true, twice so far: "A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Blower Motor Resistor."
I'll not be around these parts for a bit soon - goin' back to the US for a business trip followed by a bit of a vacation up Wyoming way. Y'all mind holding the snow off until I get to the vacation part? :)
jmc
A failded sensor will cause an ABS fault, brakes will work, ABS may not. The yellow ABS fault light will illuminate.
Poking around Partsamerica.com, found the reliability ratings section... for my truck under brakes, it has "A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Rear Axle Speed Sensor." What would the symptoms be?
The other comment came true, twice so far: "A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Blower Motor Resistor."
I'll not be around these parts for a bit soon - goin' back to the US for a business trip followed by a bit of a vacation up Wyoming way. Y'all mind holding the snow off until I get to the vacation part? :)
jmc
Your speedometer and odometer will no longer function. Your ABS light will go on, but your brakes will function.

The speedometer and odometer worked just fine when I had a rear sensor failure in my Dakota. Diferent years may work differently. Both the failure of spedo sensor in the transmission and the rear axle sensor can cause ABS failure, but only the transmission sensor affects the spedo.
Usually the failure starts out intermitent.
Your speedometer and odometer will no longer function. Your ABS light will go on, but your brakes will function.

On a '99 Ram I had, the senor went out, and the failures I mentioned happened. They went away once I replaced it.
Though he did not mention what his vehicle is.

Ditto for my 1999 Ram 1500 pickup (Speedo, odometer, ABS light, etc., it also didn't want to idle.). Also same thing with my wife's 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Van. Her's is an automatic, mine's a stick.
I can't vouch for the Dakota though....
Dave
GeekBoy wrote:

Suddenly, without warning, GeekBoy exclaimed (03-Mar-07 2:16 AM):

Sorry. Been here a while but forget not everyone's automatically gonna remember...
*She* has a 2001 Dakota.
:)

Ooops..I forget you always come here saying your truck is going to its next destination then not hear from you for a year. Where is it going now? Wish I could take mine all over the world too.

The number of sensors and where thay are depends on number of driven wheels, transmission, transfer case, engine, and braking options.
2000, 2001, 2002 Dakotas with ABS have three speed ABS speed sensors, one on each front wheel and one on the rear axle, Few trucks have this option. Standard is rear wheel anti lock (RWAL), which has one sensor in the rear axle. The RWAL controller also receives input from the speedo sensor too via the computer. I believe RAMs have the same set up but it varies with transmission and engine options. Automatics have the speedo sensor in the transmission. I'm not sure where they put it for manuals.
My 2001 dakota 4.7 auto AWD transfer case has the speedo sensor in the tranmission and a sensor in the rear axle for RWAL. The rear sensor has no effect on the speedo, but the speedo sensor effects the RWAL. A bad speedo sensor will cause fluctuations in the spedometer reading as well as an ABS warning lamp where the rear sensor will case the warning lamp only... as well as loss of the RWAL function.