Rear end noise

Yeah, it was howling at me, so I took it in and they said $1000 to $1500 depending on what they find when they take my '98 Ram 5.9L 1500 SLT Laramie's limited slip apart. Boo hoo! only 89,000 miles! Phil

Reply to
Phil Rhodes

Yea, depending on if they think it needs new gears or not. Welcome to the wonderful world of the POS DC 9 1/4 rear.

Reply to
TBone

I picked up a differential for my rear for $25.00 on Ebay. Shipping cost more than the gears. Worked great.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

My only fear with that is that I would wind up with another dud.

Reply to
TBone

That is a little steep for one axle. You can get a new gear set for it on line for about $200 or so and the bearing kit for another 70 or 80 bucks. YOu should beable to get it done for 300 to 500 labor because that is not a hard rear end to work with. I am puzzled by its early faliure though because they are usually sturdy unless it has never been serviced regularly and it has big rubber on it too. As a foot note if you are running oversized rubber, now you be the time to regear if it is a 4x4 since you have to fix rear axle anyway and gear prices are about the same on different ratios.

Reply to
SnoMan