rear end whine on '98 Ram 1500

Page 2 of 5

The 5.9 sure can get that much with the 3.54 read end gears.

GeekBoy wrote:

You realize the subject of this thread is "Re: rear end whine on '98 Ram 1500".. The truck you're talking about has absolutely no relation to your diesel truck, at the axles or any other part of the driveline.
Now I remember why I quit bothering to read here...
JS

Your ignorance is showing.
A gear is a gear if they have the same ratio no matter what size they are.

your
Once again, you make a complete ass out of yourself and show your own ignorance is showing. What does the gear ratio have to do with the OP's post? He was referring to the failure of a specific rear used in the 1500 series, the DC 9 1/4 which is NOT used in the 2500 or 3500 and has nothing to do with the ratio used. According to you, I should be able to pull the diff out of a pinto and install it in a Kennworth because after all, a gear is a gear, right?

But a Chrysler 9.25" is not a Dana 70... one is a full-floater, the other is a C-clip. One uses shims, the other uses preload adjusters... just to name a couple of differences.

Well my point was that is gears have the same ratio even one maybe the size of the moon and the over the size of a marble they will rotate the wheels at the same rate.
***

other
size
at
Which has nothing to do with the OP's post.

GeekBoy wrote:

Dorkboy,
Realize something... You're talking about an engine with a ~3200 rpm redline and peak torque somewhere around 2400. 3400 is about the peak torque on a stock gas 360, 4000ish is the peak torque on a stock gas 318... both redline somewhere over 5k.
If you want to start a gearing penis war - my dodge has 3.21:1 gears. It also can't (and never has been able to) climb a reasonably small hill (the kind of hill I could climb in a 4 cyl nissan in 5th no problem) at 75 mph in 5th.
Was that combo on your Cummins, it'd probably gain speed going up the hill with the pedal halfway down... Well, until the NV3500 exploded (5, maybe 10 seconds)
JS

Only in your dreams ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

Guess you will just go buy a 2nd gen and find out. While you are dreaming a am living it.

You mean living the lie. No gas 360 will do that and a CTD might come close to that some time but the fuel costsmore here and has since last summer (last winter it was 75 cent or more than gas too) and when you factor in cost of engine, manitainance and fuel, you are loosing not saving money. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

And how many times do I have to do the math and prove you wrong? Even at $3.00/gal for gasoline, and $3.75/gal for diesel, you're looking at 18-20MPG vs 11-13MPG. Take the extremes - 13MPG at $3.00/gal vs. 18MPG at $3.75/gal. That's $0.231/mile for gas, and $0.208/mile for diesel. Let's say it was an extra $5,000 for the diesel option. At that rate, it's a little over 200,000 miles to break even... admittedly not that good, yet far from a loss.
However, when diesel prices are a little better (for example, I'm paying $2.99/gal right now, while my gasoline-burning friends are paying between $2.89 and $3.21), or $0.166/mile. At that rate, the cost of the engine is paid for in about 75,000 miles - less if you factor in the higher gasoline prices ($3.12 for 89 octane, at the place that sells diesel for $2.99 here by me).
The break-even time for a diesel gets even lower when you look at real-world performance. To get 13MPG from a gas-powered 1-ton truck, you've got to really baby it. That same babying would get you 20-21MPG on the diesel engine. The MPG results drop more for a gas-powered pickup when towing a heavy load than they do for the diesel - again, enhancing the cost benefit of the diesel engine.
On resale, a diesel-powered truck will get between $2,500 and $3,500 more than a comparable gas truck. So, you need to factor that into your initial costs (the fact that you'll make it up on resale). Using a figure of $3,000 in resale, now you've only got to make up $2,000 in up-front costs... so 87,000 miles using your prices, or 30,000 miles using my prices.
As for the myth about higher maintenance costs... the diesel uses twice as much oil (12qts. vs. 6qts), but the drain intervals are twice as long... that's a wash. Air filters are a wash. There's a fuel filter that needs changing every 15,000 miles or so - at a cost of $12. On the other side, the gas engine needs plugs every 30K ($30), cap/rotor/wires every 50K ($80). The way I see it, maintenance of a gas engine is the more expensive of the two.
You want to talk about common repairs? Changing a water pump on a Cummins takes about 30 minutes - the same job takes almost three times as long on a gas engine. Book time on changing a timing chain... 4 hours maybe? 0 on the diesel... everything's gear-driven. How many people with V8's on here have had to have an intake plenum gasket replaced? Again, not an issue on the little I-6. Change out a stuck/frozen lifter on a gas engine? A few hours worth of work... not needed on a diesel (solid lifters and flat tappets). Granted, you do need to adjust the valve lash every 100K or so... takes about 30 minutes.
Aside from the financial facts, there's the drivability factor. Owning both a Cummins and a V10-powered 3500, and hauling with both of them, there's no way I would ever choose to pull a load with the V10 over the Cummins. In fact, there's very little I use my V10 for at all these days. The V10 is a little quicker off the line, but the Cummins eats it for lunch on a rolling acceleration. My 45-80MPH times, for example, in my V10 are twice that of my Cummins.
Hey - I get it... diesels aren't your thing. That's fine - but don't take your personal bias and try to apply it to the real-world benefits of burning oil rather than gasoline. Your argument simply falls apart under even a bit of scrutiny.
Apparently the only real "rear end whine" around here can be found between Snoman and Tbone.
--
Max

And this post has what value??? I guess just about the same as all of your others, none at all.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

What value????? You have to be kidding!! With crap you post, you have the BALLS to question the value of anybody's post?????<GBMFG> That would be like me and mac demanding value from Denny's attacks on us, of course those attacks are unjustified.<VBG> It is all humor, and Max's post WAS funny.;
Actually the only fault I can find with Max's post is it took to long to use the "whine". Hell it has been there for a couple of days.
Gotta help the oldest kid move, so I can't play until later. Be gentle.
Roy (hope ya find some value in this)

Sorry, I know I'm slacking as far as picking up the obvious bits of humor and commenting, but I have quite a bit to do and the weather is nice. I get the feeling that even if Tbone had both things happening to him, he'd rather argue about rear ends.
--
Max

Roy wrote:

At least TBone can figure out he's discussing a half ton dodge ram, he's entirely farther ahead of the game than Dorkboy.
JS

Unjustified my skinny little ass!!! You do remember who the cheapshot champion is here don't you?? Hint....He's a fricken Patriot fan that likes to watch cars go in circles and make little puny sized holes in paper. Real men shoot .30 cal or larger...<BFG>
Denny

Seems a nerve was touched. Oh, real men that survive learn to hit and git and don't carry a bunch of heavy stuff like .30 cal.<BFG>
Roy

I didn't realized that hit and git was a priority when punching holes in paper. I need to readjust my tactics so I don't git a papercut. <BFG> About the only thing that I can think of that'd be better than the kick of a 8mm Mauser might be a Garand but I just don't have the pennys for one of them yet.
Denny