rear end whine on '98 Ram 1500

LOL i have to agree Tom. its much more fun to embarass the young hot shot in a little sports car next to me, with the percieved "oversized & slow truck" the lwb quad with 8' of box is just about as oversized as it gets *really big grin*

and besides the right pedal is really a on/off switch right? *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

also on a side note, i have to say i was really impressed with the new cummins on my last trip to KY, (this was the first road trip for the new truck). i sold my father in law my 99 durango and hauled it up on the equipment trailer. we pulled the 8% grade on the TN-111 at 60 with no problems. infact we like to have run a f350 over. and we got nearly 15 mpg on that trip. running the truck hard (75 most of the way on the interstate), i have to say it again, getting rid of the 8L and buying this one when we did was the best move we could have made.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

You realize the subject of this thread is "Re: rear end whine on '98 Ram

1500".. The truck you're talking about has absolutely no relation to your diesel truck, at the axles or any other part of the driveline.

Now I remember why I quit bothering to read here...

JS

Reply to
JS

Your ignorance is showing.

A gear is a gear if they have the same ratio no matter what size they are.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Just a note. Several years back I bought a nearly new 3.55 rear gear set off of ebay for around $20.00. The shipping cost more than the gears and bearings.

100K later and they are doing fine. People change the ratios and tires on new vehicles and there are some bargins out there.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Only in your dreams

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Complete Bullshit. There have been WAY TO MANY failures of this particular rear to attribute this to maintenance. Sure, if you change the fluid daily and only drive it down hill on sunny days, even the biggest POS made will have a long life but that is not reality. In reality, as you said, moat people ignore the rear axle and it needs to be built with that in mind and most are. I have never had a rear axle failure before this truck.

Agreed, but many of this unit fail even without having a hard life.

Then perhaps he simply should not use OD as what you are doing basically accomplishes the same thing.

Reply to
TBone

Once again, you make a complete ass out of yourself and show your own ignorance is showing. What does the gear ratio have to do with the OP's post? He was referring to the failure of a specific rear used in the 1500 series, the DC 9 1/4 which is NOT used in the 2500 or 3500 and has nothing to do with the ratio used. According to you, I should be able to pull the diff out of a pinto and install it in a Kennworth because after all, a gear is a gear, right?

Reply to
TBone

Guess you will just go buy a 2nd gen and find out. While you are dreaming a am living it.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I think he's talking about a Cummins (5.9)

Roy

Reply to
Roy

But a Chrysler 9.25" is not a Dana 70... one is a full-floater, the other is a C-clip. One uses shims, the other uses preload adjusters... just to name a couple of differences.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You mean living the lie. No gas 360 will do that and a CTD might come close to that some time but the fuel costsmore here and has since last summer (last winter it was 75 cent or more than gas too) and when you factor in cost of engine, manitainance and fuel, you are loosing not saving money.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

And how many times do I have to do the math and prove you wrong? Even at $3.00/gal for gasoline, and $3.75/gal for diesel, you're looking at 18-20MPG vs 11-13MPG. Take the extremes - 13MPG at $3.00/gal vs. 18MPG at $3.75/gal. That's $0.231/mile for gas, and $0.208/mile for diesel. Let's say it was an extra $5,000 for the diesel option. At that rate, it's a little over

200,000 miles to break even... admittedly not that good, yet far from a loss.

However, when diesel prices are a little better (for example, I'm paying $2.99/gal right now, while my gasoline-burning friends are paying between $2.89 and $3.21), or $0.166/mile. At that rate, the cost of the engine is paid for in about 75,000 miles - less if you factor in the higher gasoline prices ($3.12 for 89 octane, at the place that sells diesel for $2.99 here by me).

The break-even time for a diesel gets even lower when you look at real-world performance. To get 13MPG from a gas-powered 1-ton truck, you've got to really baby it. That same babying would get you 20-21MPG on the diesel engine. The MPG results drop more for a gas-powered pickup when towing a heavy load than they do for the diesel - again, enhancing the cost benefit of the diesel engine.

On resale, a diesel-powered truck will get between $2,500 and $3,500 more than a comparable gas truck. So, you need to factor that into your initial costs (the fact that you'll make it up on resale). Using a figure of $3,000 in resale, now you've only got to make up $2,000 in up-front costs... so

87,000 miles using your prices, or 30,000 miles using my prices.

As for the myth about higher maintenance costs... the diesel uses twice as much oil (12qts. vs. 6qts), but the drain intervals are twice as long... that's a wash. Air filters are a wash. There's a fuel filter that needs changing every 15,000 miles or so - at a cost of $12. On the other side, the gas engine needs plugs every 30K ($30), cap/rotor/wires every 50K ($80). The way I see it, maintenance of a gas engine is the more expensive of the two.

You want to talk about common repairs? Changing a water pump on a Cummins takes about 30 minutes - the same job takes almost three times as long on a gas engine. Book time on changing a timing chain... 4 hours maybe? 0 on the diesel... everything's gear-driven. How many people with V8's on here have had to have an intake plenum gasket replaced? Again, not an issue on the little I-6. Change out a stuck/frozen lifter on a gas engine? A few hours worth of work... not needed on a diesel (solid lifters and flat tappets). Granted, you do need to adjust the valve lash every 100K or so... takes about 30 minutes.

Aside from the financial facts, there's the drivability factor. Owning both a Cummins and a V10-powered 3500, and hauling with both of them, there's no way I would ever choose to pull a load with the V10 over the Cummins. In fact, there's very little I use my V10 for at all these days. The V10 is a little quicker off the line, but the Cummins eats it for lunch on a rolling acceleration. My 45-80MPH times, for example, in my V10 are twice that of my Cummins.

Hey - I get it... diesels aren't your thing. That's fine - but don't take your personal bias and try to apply it to the real-world benefits of burning oil rather than gasoline. Your argument simply falls apart under even a bit of scrutiny.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Well my point was that is gears have the same ratio even one maybe the size of the moon and the over the size of a marble they will rotate the wheels at the same rate.

***
Reply to
GeekBoy

haven't seen you posting too much lately. is everything ok? after the talk about the floods i just hope they didn't cause you a bunch of damage??

Reply to
theguy

Which has nothing to do with the OP's post.

Reply to
TBone

That was last year. With the sudden jump is gasoline prices, diesel has not caught up and I do not think it will. The average cost of diesel where I am is 3.19 and has stayed that way for a month or more while gasoline is running 3.2x.

Sorry sucka

Plus what Tom said.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Everything is fine, thanks. We managed to stay dry, but others weren't so lucky. Just been busy as hell.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Apparently the only real "rear end whine" around here can be found between Snoman and Tbone.

Reply to
Max Dodge

And this post has what value??? I guess just about the same as all of your others, none at all.

Reply to
TBone