rear end whine on '98 Ram 1500

Page 4 of 5
writes:

I can give a 05 price on my truck. 2500 SLT CTD QC short box 4X4 most of the toys, no leather or sexy factory radio. List was $42K paid iirc $33K
Roy

Thanks Roy. Low 30s and an end of the model year was exactly what we had in mind. At the time I was looking there were still a few 05s left but all but 1 were dressed to the 9s and the one that wasn't was a Std cab, white 2500 LB that was just too generic.
writes:

lottery
you
me
what's a charge/credit card???? never heard of such an animal.....
<BG>
--
-Chris
05 CTD

lottery
you
me
Hell no, use them for everything and pick one that does something that you want or need like cash back or FF miles and then zero balance them every month so you don't pay any interest.

Yup, that's true if you have the disipline to do it. Most don't and there is where 80% of the trouble starts imo.
Roy

Tom, if you aren't driving a friggin' suburban and throwing oil all over the undercarriage you are not with the program. I guess you gotta do the same with the sheet metal so it won't rust too. Gotta be kinda messy though.
You hit on it though. Some people just don't like a diesel. Rather than just say so and be done with it, they babble on about how expensive they are. But saying it and proving it are two different things. It is that simple, likes and dislikes. I've said before, if it were not for the Cummins I probably would not be in a Dodge.
Roy

and if diesel is such a bad option, why did honda just announce the huge investment they are making in a 4 and 6 cyl diesel for thier cars and trucks in the future. funny why honda said in their announcement that they saw diesel as playing a huge role in the engines of the future. i guess honda doesn't know what they are doing either. they should have saved their time and energy and just asked tbone.

at
at
Let's
yet
paying
between
is
gasoline
here
on
more
figure
twice
the
more
Cummins
on
0
on
lash
days.
of
under
the
just
But
likes
yea really.... my friends that drive the powerjokes still dont believe the MPG figures that im getting. one guy lives 4 houses down and says he's getting 13 out of his at best. calls me a liar flat out, of course i just grin and say "buy a cummins someday and find out for your self"
i also know the people that just dont like a diesel and wouldnt be caught dead near one. but they cant figure out why my 3/4 ton blows the doors off of their 1/2 tons either <BFG>
--
-Chris
05 CTD

at
at
Let's
yet
paying
between
is
gasoline
here
on
more
figure
twice
the
more
Cummins
on
0
on
lash
days.
of
under
the
just
But
likes
Damn right, it's about time someone realized my genius! <GBMFG>

That was last year. With the sudden jump is gasoline prices, diesel has not caught up and I do not think it will. The average cost of diesel where I am is 3.19 and has stayed that way for a month or more while gasoline is running 3.2x.
Sorry sucka
Plus what Tom said.

not
LOL, get real, that is area specific. Here in NC, the price of gas has dropped to around $2.65 (regular) while diesel has held at $2.89, and this is the summer, when diesel is at its cheapest and gas is approaching its highest price.

How old are you, 16?

While Tom makes a dam good argument, there is no free lunch. As more people go to diesel, the regulations on them are going to increase significantly and as for cost, the added weight will cause increased wear on drive train and suspension components and the cost to repair just about anything on a diesel is significantly more than on gas engine. He mentioned the intake plenum gasket repair but failed to mention the cost of a diesel injector pump which can and do fail every now and then.

Curious, how much is diesel? I'm going through there on the way to Fl and am trying to figure fuel stops.

Probably because the pump is warrantied for 100K. Failure of the IP has about gone away since the lift pump failure has been corrected.
Roy

"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

come
not
has
has
its
and
$2.89
at
and
last fuel stop i made on the way to work it was 2.69 here in middle GA
and there's lots of diesel all over the state.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

I think he's talking about a Cummins (5.9)
Roy

haven't seen you posting too much lately. is everything ok? after the talk about the floods i just hope they didn't cause you a bunch of damage??

Everything is fine, thanks. We managed to stay dry, but others weren't so lucky. Just been busy as hell.
Roy
My current ratio is 3.55, I was considering 3.73 until I found that you can't find 3.73 anywhere. 3.21, 3.55, 3.90 and 4.10 are the only ratios I have found for the 9.25"
as an interesting bit of information regarding Yukon gear sets....this is what jawsgear.net says about Yukon gears:
"Yukon Gear Ring and Pinions are a mixture of several aftermarket brands of gears out on the market today. You could open the box and find a US Gear, Richmond Gear, Dana Gear, Motive Gear, Genuine Gear, or a true Yukon Gear. They are mixed to show a larger product line. If you are wanting a specific gear, be sure to call and verify what brand you might truely be getting This gear usually sets easily and runs quite when properly installed."

pitch
the
is
ther
from
Complete Bullshit. There have been WAY TO MANY failures of this particular rear to attribute this to maintenance. Sure, if you change the fluid daily and only drive it down hill on sunny days, even the biggest POS made will have a long life but that is not reality. In reality, as you said, moat people ignore the rear axle and it needs to be built with that in mind and most are. I have never had a rear axle failure before this truck.

usage.
Agreed, but many of this unit fail even without having a hard life.

you
Then perhaps he simply should not use OD as what you are doing basically accomplishes the same thing.