rear turn and stop bulb quit working

2001 Dodge 2500 CTD The other day I put the truck in the garage on a nice clear, dry evening. Turning into my driveway, I used the left turn signal and it worked. Next
morning it doesn't work, fast cycling when on the left turn signal, and brake light also doesn't work on that side. The bulb is fine, the connector is clean and dry. No voltage in the connector. Tried new bulb anyway, same thing. Right side works normally, running/tail lights work normally both sides. Front turn signal lights work both sides.
I was looking on a schematic and they show a multifunction switch. Is there a way this switch could fail and affect just one rear side? What is the location of the switch? Thanks, Bill

Bill
Switch is in the steering wheel area. I believe you will have to remove the steering wheel.
BUT first check the brake lights with the directional switch in the middle or off position to make sure both the brake lights do indeed work. This should eliminate the actual bulb and wiring.
If the brake lights do work properly try the following. With the ignition off, switch the directional lights to both directions and be sure the brake light goes off on the side you have switched the directional lights to.
If you do remove the multifunction switch and replace it. Buy two since you will eventually need another and it will be more expensive now then later.
I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 Ram.
Bob AZ
The brake and turn lights both are out on the left side, and both work on the right side, and both front turn signals work. I have a factory manual on CD, but I haven't found anything in it to show the physical locations of junctions, etc. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Bill

Bill
Switch is in the steering wheel area. I believe you will have to remove the steering wheel.
BUT first check the brake lights with the directional switch in the middle or off position to make sure both the brake lights do indeed work. This should eliminate the actual bulb and wiring.
If the brake lights do work properly try the following. With the ignition off, switch the directional lights to both directions and be sure the brake light goes off on the side you have switched the directional lights to.
If you do remove the multifunction switch and replace it. Buy two since you will eventually need another and it will be more expensive now then later.
I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 Ram.
Bob AZ

I've had several problems with bulbs that are seemingly fine but caused the symtoms you describe nonetheless. Replace both the front and rear bulbs with known good quality bulbs and I think your problem may be solved.
already tried new bulb.
checked with a meter, there is no voltage in the left rear turn and stop light socket.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:02:39 +0000, bill allemann wrote:

ok i posted my last post before i read this one...LOL
check ALL fuses in the truck. IRRC some of these trucks have separate fuses for right and left turn/brake lamps. could be just that simple. I can't remember now if the BR/BE trucks had that or not, its been too long since i worked on one. but I'm a fan of the simple fixes *grin*
--
Chris

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:42:46 +0000, bill allemann wrote:

have you changed the bulb? looked at the condition of the bulb socket?
--
Chris

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:10:01 +0000, "Christopher D. Thompson"

I have had that happen in a GMC Jimmy 1998 before except the voltage at the socket was 10.4 volts & it didn't work. Turned out to be the multi-function directional switch for the tune of just under $300.00 bucks.
Good luck!
Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

If you have a 7-way trailer connector at the hitch, check for voltage at the terminal in the 9 'o clock position when the brake or turn signal is supposed to be on. If it works at the 7-way connector the multi-function switch is fine.
--
Ken