Replacing rear bearings on a Dodge pickup?

My 1999 Dodge RAM 1500 4WD pickup has been making progressively worse noise. Noise comes from the rear. It sounds like a bad bearing noise, I recalled my experience with a 5 hp single phase Baldor motor that I fixed by replacing bearings, it sounded very similar. A screechy, crunchy sound. Noises appear at speeds between 20-40 MPH.

Any idea what it may be about and whether this is a DIY type repair. Thanks.

Ignoramus17695

Have you checked to be sure the rear brake shoes (I'm assuming it has rear drum brakes) aren't just worn down to the metal?

Another thing that could change it when you accelerate vs. decelerate is U-joints but if they're that bad you'd probably hear a pretty strong "clunk" when you first put it in gear.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I replaced rear brakes 15 thousand miles ago. (diy)

I dunno, it happened before and someone else mentioned it, but the symptoms were sort of intermittent. Would I be able to tell, if I place the transmission in neutral, and try to turn the driveshaft by hand?

Ignoramus17695

Only if it's REALLY worn. Pulling the rear driveshaft is pretty simple though and then it's easy to tell what shape they're in.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

OK, if I suspend my truck's rear on jackstands and put the transmission in drive and try to turn the wheels, is it true that I would hear similar noise (similar to what I heard on the road) with the rear suspended (no vertical load on bearings and less torque on u-joint)? That way I could analyze it.

You see, f the story is about replacing U-joint and rear axle bearings, I think that I can do this on my own. I have a manual also, though not for my model year (1998 vs 1999). But the manual is clear that I should not try to rebuild the rear differential.

Ignoramus29761

You can put it up on stands if you're sufficiently confident it's secure and wheels are blocked, start it up, put it in gear, crawl under it and pull the individual parking brake cables to isolate one side to the other and find your noise that way. It's also possible you won't have any noise without a load on the bearings. Chasing noises can be pretty frustrating. If it is an axle bearing and you let it go too long you'll be buying a new axle as well if it's a 1500.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Yes, I will block front wheels with wheel chocks.

Exactly my concern.

Yeah. I decided to not drive it today.

Ignoramus29761

Never trust a manuals warnings. Rebuilding a typical light truck axle is

*not* brain surgery, just a bit tedious.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

'zackly, fairly simple, really, but it is a tedious adventure. (Why can't they all be like a good 'ol Ford 9"?)

Reply to
Anthony