Reply to Tom L.

Okay Tom, If the truck is in low 1 or low 2 it does not jerk. It will not jerk in reverse either. Only in drive.

Any suggestions?

Dirtclod

Reply to
dirtclod

Hmmm.... not good. Your rear sprag could be worn. I'm a bit out of my depth on this one... any tranny guys reading this??

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Where is that old fart Gary G. when he is needed?

Reply to
azwiley1

Prolly putting a can of mobile 1 in the transmission case. If this guy hada done that, he might still be working properly.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

look, i'm not a tranny guy but if putting a quart of mobile 1 in the case would have been the simple fix here, then mobile 1 would sort of be the duct tape of repair for tranny's and i just don't think that is the case.

Reply to
theguy

You musta missed this topic about 3 years ago. Yup, that's what this transmission guy does.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Its not his overrunning clutch, that holds in both manual low and manual

2nd, and his trans is working ok in both of those. However, the overrunning clutch would aid the rear clutch in holding in both those positions. No slippage in Reverse indicates that the front clutch and rear band are ok. Slipping in 3rd would indicate a problem with front clutch or rear clutch, and we've eliminated the front clutch by the reverse elements being ok.

I'd say its the rear clutch in the main trans housing, or fluid feed to it. Assuming no codes, and a functional governor solenoid set (didn't see the year of the trans), its time to look in the pan for debris.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I was thinking that since it jerked in 'D', when just the overrunning clutch is holding the rear drum, but doesn't slip in manual 1, where the rear band is helping to hold the rear drum. Am I confused?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

According to the FSM, the OC isn't in use in 3rd. I'm not sure how its in use in M2, but not in D2 or 3rd, but thats the FSM claim.

But the clarifying point is this: if the OC is operating on the two ranges (particularly M2) that are fine, its probably doing ok. M2 doesn't have rear band application, so the OC is on its own, and he has no slippage.

Last, the rear clutch has lower loading in 1st and 2nd ratios, so it'll hold. Run in 3rd, and the rear clutch starts to slip.

Reply to
Max Dodge

It is a 2000 Ram 2500 4x4 with 75000 miles. I had the trans serviced with a new filter and fluid flush at 72000 miles and there was no debris in the pan. Once again , it doesn't jerk all the time. Only after I've driven awhile and the truck is warmed up.

Reply to
dirtclod

I'd try replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer. These would affect throttle pressure and may have a fault when warm. Past that, with no debris, its difficult to say its any of the mechanical stuff with any surety.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Are these two parts inside the transmission ? If so, how hard is it to do ? Any idea on the expense?

A local mechanic drove it today and he says there is a problem between the splines on the output shaft from the transfer case and the drive shaft. He says that when it comes to a stop the pressure "loads up " where the two meet and when I take off it releases the pressure. He suggested to drop the drive shaft and lube both ends and he " would almost bet " the problem would stop.

Does this sound possible or like a load of crap ?

Thank You Dirtclod

Reply to
dirtclod

Based on your original post I say no way that's it.

Reply to
BigIronRam

A great big steaming pile of it... if that were the case, the driveshaft wouldn't care one bit whether you were in 'D' or manual '1' - where you said it did not occur. If you're SURE that it happens in 'D', and not '1', you've 100% narrowed it to something inside the transmission.

You have a 2000, so you can retrieve the codes with the ignition key method. Cycle the ignition OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, stopping with the ignition 'ON' (but not ever to START). The odometer will display and stored diagnostic codes (Pxxxx, with xxxx being a 4-digit number). When all codes have been displayed, 'Pdone' will show up.

Do that, to either narrow down an electrical/sensor problem, or eliminate it.

By the way - you said the trans was serviced a few thousand miles ago. Did you have the problem before that service?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have cycled the key and there are no codes to be found. That was the first thing I did. I am not 100 % sure but I believe the problem was there before the service. It was not as bad and I may not have given it alot of attention because I was trying to figure out the whole TCC Shuttle fiasco. Now that the TCC is out of the way I can focus on this.

Thank You

Reply to
dirtclod