retrieving engine code on 1997 Dakota

1997 Dakota 3.9L 5-speed, 170k miles. Check Engine light came on today. I tried the on-off-on-off-on procedure numerous times and it doesn't flash any codes. I've done this before in the past and gotten
that to work, although I can't remember what the result was - but it won't work now. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

IIRC, '97 was a model-change year for the Dak's, much like '98 was for the Rams (you have a digital odometer, correct?). They didn't implement the OBD-II code display for those until '00. You're going to have to get a code reader.

I don't know... I was thinking I had done this before on my truck, and I also was thinking the opposite of what you say - that the on-off-on- off-on procedure existed up until 2000 models or whenever they imposed OBD-II. But I may very well be mistaken.

OBD-II came about in '96. I know for a fact that '98 and '99 Rams did not have the ability to display the codes, and that function has been available from '00 on up. I have no direct experience with a '97 Dakota, but would strongly suspect that it lacks that ability, as well.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Gary