RUMOR: Is Dodge changing to CAT diesel?

Page 1 of 2
Just curious.
Ed

No.
Why would they do that when Mercedes already builds them. I would think that if they left Cummins, they would go their, especially since it is also owned by Daimler.
"Edward L. Dowdy" < snipped-for-privacy@ctscomp.com> wrote in message
I didn't think so. A friend brought it up. Another said the same thing you did.
Thanks a bunch, Ed

Edward L. Dowdy wrote:

Bet your buddy asks you next to find out if Ford owns Cummins. :-)

You hit the nail on the head!

Don't they???

No. See: http://tinyurl.com/dnn48
--
Ken

That looks like a spoofed site.

It may look like it, but it's not (unless the entire Cummins website is a spoof). Maybe this looks less spoofish. Is that even a word? http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/customerassistance/faq/index.cfm Under the heading DodgeRam, click on #28.
--
Ken

No, and the big news is everyone wants a Cummins. Toyota will probably get one if the rumor is true. Toyota being such a huge potential buyer it would cost DC a lot to monopolize the Cummins in the HD pickup market.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/naias2006/diesels/page1.html
FWIW It's all just speculation at this point. Plus I think the article itself is broken the author says Dodge is "...the weakest player in the space with an engine/transmission combo that just doesn't measure up to superior Ford and GM diesel powertrains." This does not jive with all the Japanies companies drooling over Cummins so take it all with a grain of salt.
Why would DC even try. Mercedes also builds some damn nice diesels and I would take one in place of a Cummins if they went that way.
"td" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
why would they want to change though? the Cummins is selling on its reliability and power heck thats why i bought mine. besides it being a dodge in general, the Cummins was the BIG selling point.
--
-Chris
05 CTD
"Carolina Watercraft Works" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

seen one the other day it was standing on its back bumper tryin to haul the thing *grin*
--
-Chris
05 CTD

for sure... love to see one of their smaller turbo diesels in the Dakota and durango.. and isn't it about time for a td 1500?????
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
i would consider buying my wife a durango again if they put a TD in it. as it stands now her next truck is a crewcab sb 2500.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Dodge did use Cat diesels in their trucks 30 years ago. <g> I used to have a 1973 Dodge LCF C800 with a 573 CI Cat V-8 (it was listed as a special order engine). I have a few pics of it on my web site at http://www.dodge-semis.com/MT /. Dodge even used Detroit Diesel's 6-71 and 8V-71 2 stroke diesels around the same time as they used the Cats. The first number in the engine designation indicates the number of cylinders while the last 2 digits are the CI displacement of each cylinder. The most powerful Detroit Diesel used in the Dodges back then was even called a 318 as it put out 318 horsepower. It had a turbo mounted on top of a roots type supercharger. I know of a cab over Dodge L1000 with a DD 318 that is a for sale that is not to far from me. I would love to get my hands on a 12V-71. It was 2 6V-71 put end to end. Had 2 separate blowers (one for the front half of the engine and a second blower for the rear half) and each one had a turbo on top of it. <seg>
Ruppster