running out of fuel

im sitting at a stop light and my attitude starts chirping with low fuel pressure alert. before i could shut the truck down the warning went away and i showed 11 psi. ok, a freak thing i thought. i got to the next light and the same thing happened. before i could get a half mile the truck died. i got it over to the shoulder and showing 1/8 tank on the gauge i figured the juice had killed my lift pump in record time (just installed a new one a couple months ago). i caught a ride to the cummins shop where i got another lift pump. i got it installed on the shoulder of the road, bled my injectors, and the truck started right up. i closed the hood and got back in the truck to find my attitude chirping again with low fuel pressure. i removed the hose from the lift pump and hit the key and got fuel, but when the truck was running i kept getting the warning. i finally got to a fuel station and filled the tank and drove 30 miles in stop and go back and forth and never go the warning again. my fuel tank only took 28 gallons to fill it so there should have been 7 gallons left in the tank. this happened once before (although it never died on me and the problem went away after i filled up again and that time it took less than 30 gallons to fill the tank as well). is there some sort of pick up tube issue on the in tank fuel pump?

thanks, Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

Yes ,there is and it gets worse if you let it go as I have. My '01 does that now at 1/2 tank. It's not high priority for me now that I work 6 miles from home and I fill up at the company tanks. I really need to get the tank dropped and fix that if we're going to use this truck to take a trip.

There's been LOTS of discussion about gauge / sending unit problems on the website I referenced in an earlier thread for you.

Reply to
BigIronRam

what is the nature of the issue? what parts should i replace? i want to go ahead and get what i need and drop the tank for a complete fix the first time. thanks,

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier